Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Greatest Cat Toy Ever

I had to share this with you guys. I picked one up when I was in New Hope today ($25) just because the box was really cute.
Fling-ama-String:

Now, my kitten has the attention span of a goldfish, so I was pretty suprised when she played with this for a half hour straight (and wasn't going to stop, we turned it off). She's playing with it right now, again. It looks really weird, but if you watch the videos of it you can see how it works. It looks like it's going to be great if your kitten wants to play but your too busy doing something else (like reading!). Plus it's really fun to watch

http://www.thecatconnection.com/cat/...ma-String.html
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Dinner? What Dinner?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Oh my - my cats watched the video and made me order one. Will report on its success with my finicky felines. I have one cat who loves the "paw under the door" mode of play.

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I hope your kittens love it! I turned it on again for Coco today and I think she got mad when I turned it off after a half hour of play. I wish we could do the paw under the door, but I don't think there's enough room. Although maybe one of the bathroom doors might work...
Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Looks like a fun toy for kitty - maybe would even entice my lazy boy to get playing (attention span of a goldspan is rather long compared to my kitty's).

Unfortunately the thing is a bit more expensive down under (AU$70) so my kitty will have to do without for the time being.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Looks like a fun toy for kitty - maybe would even entice my lazy boy to get playing (attention span of a goldspan is rather long compared to my kitty's).

Unfortunately the thing is a bit more expensive down under (AU$70) so my kitty will have to do without for the time being.
I wonder why it is so expensive for Australia. That seems crazy!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
Ohhhhh! That looks like an ideal toy for my cat! He loves shoe strings (especially if you're trying to tie them) and this should keep him occupied for hours!

Even found a Dutch site that sells them for €28,95!

Last edited by Sweetpea; 02-15-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I love it! I love the kitty paws under the door! What store did you buy this from?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I love it! I love the kitty paws under the door! What store did you buy this from?
I bought mine at a small store in New Hope, I can't remember the name. When I did a google search there were a bunch of different sites selling it.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Dinner? What Dinner?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just read a disturbing review - seems someone's kitty got hold of the string when it was turned off, pulled it out and swallowed a lot of it. Fortunately owner was home. Recommended taking GREAT caution in hiding the end of the string when the unit is off.

Cats love to swallow string, tinsel, etc - and it can be fatal. My little darling found a cassette tape and unrolled and swallowed almost half of it. $2500 later - after a midnight run to the ER with surgery and intensive care - she's fine. I've learned to be VERY careful with string toys.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I just read a disturbing review - seems someone's kitty got hold of the string when it was turned off, pulled it out and swallowed a lot of it. Fortunately owner was home. Recommended taking GREAT caution in hiding the end of the string when the unit is off.

Cats love to swallow string, tinsel, etc - and it can be fatal. My little darling found a cassette tape and unrolled and swallowed almost half of it. $2500 later - after a midnight run to the ER with surgery and intensive care - she's fine. I've learned to be VERY careful with string toys.
I had wondered about the product's safety, but swallowing the string never occurred to me. I was wondering if cats could get their paws pinched in the retrieval mechanism.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

It does come with the instruction to make sure that the string is in the back when the unit is turned off. I don't even tuck it in, I just let the mechanism roll back so that it stays back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I had wondered about the product's safety, but swallowing the string never occurred to me. I was wondering if cats could get their paws pinched in the retrieval mechanism.
Hrmm, I don't think so. I'll play with it later to make sure.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
just in case your little darlin' does swallow string, ribbon, whatever.... a lot of times you won't know until it starts coming out... mmm-hmmm! if you are willing for nature to take its course which many vets reccommend, first of all DON'T TRY TO PULL IT THE REST OF THE WAY OUT!!!! second, anytime there is more enough for the cat to start pulling on, snip it off with scissors.

yeah... personal experience
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get any little paws stuck in this thing. I checked it out, and even if you put your finger in the bottom of the mechanism, the belt stops. It actually stops even with the slightest bit of pressure. The belt itself is really just the stretchy material you'd see in a shirt, so it moves over easily if you put a finger (or paw) on the side.

My cat is joyfully playing with it again right now, and making all sorts of banging noises hitting it.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Dinner? What Dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
just in case your little darlin' does swallow string, ribbon, whatever.... a lot of times you won't know until it starts coming out... mmm-hmmm! if you are willing for nature to take its course which many vets reccommend, first of all DON'T TRY TO PULL IT THE REST OF THE WAY OUT!!!! second, anytime there is more enough for the cat to start pulling on, snip it off with scissors.

Yes - I'll never forget the sight of a piece of cassette tape dangling below her tail. Or the time I found the rubber band in the litter box embedded in you know what.... This cat is going to be the death of me (or at least of my credit card).
Old 02-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

Quote:
Yes - I'll never forget the sight of a piece of cassette tape dangling below her tail. Or the time I found the rubber band in the litter box embedded in you know what.... This cat is going to be the death of me (or at least of my credit card).
When he was young, the pit bull we had ate several strange items. The kids swore they saw him eat a steel wool pad once, and I know for a fact that he ate a good portion of a throw rug. Without going into too many details, let me just say he looked pitiful as the eaten portion of that rug began to see daylight again.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote