Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What model iPad do you plan on purchasing?
16G, WiFi, NO 3g - $499 19 22.09%
32G, WiFi, NO 3g - $599 7 8.14%
64G, WiFi, NO 3g - $699 12 13.95%
16G, WiFi, 3g - $629 2 2.33%
32G, WiFi, 3g - $729 6 6.98%
64G, WiFi, 3g - $829 8 9.30%
I can't decide 4 4.65%
I am waiting for the iPad v2.0 7 8.14%
I don't plan on buying one, I just want to see the results 21 24.42%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well there has been no pricing announced outside of the united states.

someone asked me about the 3g and i updated my response (see first posting) with the information that is known about the US right now. plans and rates. outside of the US, no one knows yet.
True, but I think there's no doubt that similar plans will exist in other countries. After all, those countries already sell the iPhone with a wide range of different pricing plans available for it. In the UK, the iPhone is now available from pretty much all - if not all - the major telecoms providers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #32
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I'm going bottom of the line, because I am sure V2 will have at least 1 and possible 2 cameras.

I'll get bottom of the line, then pass that to a relative or something when I upgreade!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #33
The Old Man
Addict
The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, PaperWhite 2
Off topic - but there is a developing iPad forum at:
http://www.ipad88.com/index.php

They have a thread for eBooks.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #34
Victoria
Addict
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, kindle touch & kindle wp2
Quote:
@Victoria - The one thing I did read is the 3G version has AGPS (GPS location based off of cellular towers) that the WiFi version doesn't have. Which makes sense since there's no cell modem to talk to the towers with. I didn't see any technical specs that said the WiFi version didn't include a plain old GPS receiver in it, so I'm a little unsure about that point.

Interesting reading so many people are into the 32G version. I figured that would be the least likely as people go for minimum or maximum memory.
Scott - thank you for the extra tidbit on the 3G version.

Yes - this is a great topic. It's very interesting to see how people are working their way through the various decision points, given that it's a first generation product, and though well priced, it's not cheap.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #35
Victoria
Addict
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, kindle touch & kindle wp2
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=
I'll get bottom of the line, then pass that to a relative or something when I upgreade![/QUOTE]

I'm so glad someone else had the same thought - I felt sheepish and quickly pushed it out of my mind. Now it seems like a legitimate strategy
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #36
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Lol. My family loves all the gadget hand-me-downs. One reason I am going for the 64G version, longer usage life.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #37
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
32 no G.

32 rather than 16, because I plan to buy version 2 if it is sufficiently upgraded, but want to retain the flexibility of being able to stick with version 1 without regrets. I figure that the main regret is likely to be getting the 16 rather than the 32. 32 rather than 64 because I have an iPhone for my music.

As for the G, I have an iPhone for any essential communication functions. I figure that 80 percent of the time I'll be at home with my wireless, and while on the road, half the time I should be able to find some hot spot. So I'd be spending 130 bucks, plus the fee, for what can't be over 10 percent of my usage. In those situations, I'll use my iPhone, & just store what I want to read on Instapaper, picking it up later at the next hot spot.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #38
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Bare minimum

I'm going for the basic version: 16GB no 3G.

I will be using it for internet browsing and reading PDFs. Both at home and when traveling. I guess that more than 90% of the time I have WiFi available. So no need for 3G. And 16GB is plenty for me (after more than a year, my Eee 901 with 16G still has lots of space available.

This has been a long wait. I had the Kindle DX pre-ordered with Amazon when it was announced. But canceled this pre-order when the rumors about an Apple tablet became stronger. Happy that I did do so, although I still have to see how happy I will be with the iPad. This will be my first Apple device ever.

Last edited by Johannes; 02-14-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #39
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Interesting reading so many people are into the 32G version. I figured that would be the least likely as people go for minimum or maximum memory.
Indeed. I'd figure someone interested in buying a 16GB memory upgrade would go for the 'buy two and get one for free' option.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #40
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: iPhone, iRex DR800SG, Pocket Edge, iPad
I'll definitely be going with the cheapest out the door. If I find I need 3G (unlikely), I'll do like everyone else and sell it to someone else. One thing I've learned owning apple products - they tend to hold a lot of their value.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 AM   #41
SILen(e
SILen(e began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Int.
I will get (not necessarily at launch) the 32gb or 64gb one with 3G.

I already own an iPhone 3G with 8gb and i regret taking the one with only 8gb, as i always struggle to squeeze my apps and music in the tiny storage^^

I think the 16gb iPad will lead to the same problems, apps will likely become larger than the ones already out for iPhone (larger textures, videos, music and voices), multimedia-enhanced magazines might have 10+mb per issue because of high resolution videos - and the iPad will often be used to watch videos/movies and shows, which are between 600-1400mb (HD) per episode, 1400mb per movie.
With an iPad, i would like to have my complete music collection available, so that will also require lots of storage capacity.

The more storage capacity, the better - that's why i think that many people who are new to the iPod Touch/iPhone-category of hardware and buy an iPad with only 16gb, will regret it after a few months.

3G is also very nice - while it is possibly that it's kinda expensive in Germany, i love using my iPhone to surf the web or use ICQ while on the subway or train, so with the iPad 3G might be even more "cool to have" and "i would never go back" than the iPhone.

If i remember correctly, as the iPad lacks GPS, it uses cell phone network triangulation to get your location (which can be quite exact) - so without 3G you're lacking all those location based applications like AroundMe (shows nearby restaurants, banks etc.) and using Google Maps is possibly (you have to type in your location), but more complicated.
SILen(e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #42
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If I get one it will be 64gig and no 3g..... I will more than likely hold out for gen 2 and perhaps 128 gig version. Typically Apple will keep the price about the same, but kick up the storage in gen 2 products...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #43
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I'm going to get the 3G version with 32GB. I like to be able to surf the web anywhere without having to search for a Wifi hotspot and I also want the GPS module. 16GB is too small for me, 64GB is too expensive to afford. So 3G+32GB seems like a good compromise to me.

Oh, and I'm getting one at launch.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #44
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
I hope there will be the possibility of adding an external portable hard drive...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #45
SILen(e
SILen(e began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I hope there will be the possibility of adding an external portable hard drive...
I really doubt it.

As a portable device, it wouldn't even make a lot of sense to add an external hard drive, except when using a docking station.
SILen(e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choose, decision, ipad, model