Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you see yourself in regard to video games?
Love my books, hate video games of any kind, totally not for me! 2 6.25%
Love my books, don't care either way about video games! 5 15.63%
Love my books, don't mind playing occasionally on phone or tablet. 4 12.50%
Love my books, love my PC and/or console for casual games. 8 25.00%
Love my books, love my games. I'm a hard-core gamer! 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Who at MR loves Video Games too?

Reading is a great activity and the common ground for everyone on MR. But I am wondering, among your other activities and interests, who here loves video games too, and to what extent?
I'm adding a poll so that you may vote for the option you identify the most with and after that those who wish to discuss video games may just do so.

Since I'm starting this thread I obviously love video games and I consider myself a "selective hard-core gamer". A few of my favorite games are titles such as:

- The Metroid Prime Trilogy
- Most Zelda RPG games
- The Last of US
- The Demon/Dark Souls franchise
- Dead Space 1 and 2
- The Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim
- The Bioshock Trilogy
- Ni no Kuni
- Limbo
- The first Sonic Games

And many more...

Now what about you, do you love video games, which ones and if you do then do you consider yourself a casual gamer or a hard-core one etc...

Last edited by Quexos; 02-03-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Years ago I really love Silent Hill. But I stopped after college. For the recent video games, I did have a look at The Last of Us, and I liked the prospect but right now I don't have the time opportunity to play a lot of video games anymore. If I still do... it would just be Pacman. Hahaha.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Gaming is my OTHER major hobby.

Apart from being a loyal Pokemon Master and having poured more time than I care to admit into the Elder Scrolls (and, decades back, other WRPGs such as the Dungeons & Dragons ones) I consider myself mostly a niche Japanese and indie gamer, with a sideline in 4X games.

The last games to really obsess me were the Danganronpa games and Long Live the Queen.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Years ago I really love Silent Hill. But I stopped after college. For the recent video games, I did have a look at The Last of Us, and I liked the prospect but right now I don't have the time opportunity to play a lot of video games anymore. If I still do... it would just be Pacman. Hahaha.
Pac Man takes me a long time back, it was a very addictive game back when the video game industry was a niche thing for nerds.
Silent Hill is a game I totally missed on despite it being one of the cornerstones of the Survival-Horror genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasi&prefects View Post

Apart from being a loyal Pokemon Master and having poured more time than I care to admit into the Elder Scrolls (and, decades back, other WRPGs such as the Dungeons & Dragons ones) I consider myself mostly a niche Japanese and indie gamer, with a sideline in 4X games..
I loved both Oblivion and Skyrim, those huge open worlds games are great to immerse yourself into them and for Skyrim I managed to get 100% of all the trophies on the PS3, super time consuming but a lot of fun
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGT4, LGVolt, ClipZip, FireHDX8, HD6, Phn, Kin7
Is Angry Birds a video game?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yes but it's what we hardcore gamers consider to be a casual game, what most people would call a pass time!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no problem with casual games being counted as video games! I don't discriminate between hard core and casual; if you game, you're a gamer.

I remember when I first played Oblivion, feeling like this was finally the game I dreamed of back playing Wrpgs on my Commodore 64. (Or the other Elder Scrolls games on my PC! I am not a hardcore Morrowind fan like some.) No other game has quite matched that sense of wonder for me, not even Skyrim.

But mostly I prefer old fashioned turn based Jrpgs and visual novels. I love my Vita.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Angry Birds and Candy Crush! Haha. The Clash of the Clans is my best friend's father's favorite game. When I learned about it, I was really surprised because like my father, he was usually so adamant about video games in general. People change. Hahaha.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have always loved RPG and some simulations. Played skyrim and oblivion for quite a while.
Currently playing Banished but need a new game.

Any Suggestions?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Angry Birds and Candy Crush! Haha. The Clash of the Clans is my best friend's father's favorite game. When I learned about it, I was really surprised because like my father, he was usually so adamant about video games in general. People change. Hahaha.
Video games should not be considered like some kind of weird geek's anti-social activity anymore, it's an industry whose turnover is bigger than Hollywood's and is culturally speaking enriching.

Quote:
I have no problem with casual games being counted as video games! I don't discriminate between hard core and casual; if you game, you're a gamer.
Well this is an issue that's a bit more complex that what it seems. I don't have a problem with casuals, I know there are strong views between hard-core and casuals but also between PC gamers, Playstation Gamers, Xbox gamers etc, which is kind of akin to the PC vs Apple rivalry.
But there are nonetheless some distinctions here. To a hardcore gamer, casuals are just that, casual. They don't have the same approach to video games, the dedication is not the same. It's like comparing in literature people that read magazines and maybe occasionally a novel or two and those who are totally dedicated to reading classics, modern and other types of literature and get savvy with all the time and commitment they take for their literary passion. In the end it's just a choice everybody do so I don't see any problem there.

The only problem I have is with the industry itself. In short, casuals have grown to become a MUCH bigger group than hardcore gamers and the worry among the latter is that eventually they might become a niche community and that devs might simply lose interest in developing for them as there is much more money to be made in casual gaming. This is reflected in the amount of hardcore games shrinking with every passing year. After all why spend years developing a Shadow of the Colossus or a Dark Souls in the future that in the best case scenario will sell maybe a couple million units when you can make a GTA 5 for a much larger audience that will sell close to 40 million units.

Last edited by Quexos; 02-04-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have always loved RPG and some simulations. Played skyrim and oblivion for quite a while.

Any Suggestions?

Helen
If you loved Skyrim you should love The Witcher 3's huge open world. Only downside is the game won't be available before May this year
Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford

If you like Skyrim, consider giving Dishonored or the later Fallout games a go. (I suggest Las Vegas if you are, like me, not into FPS aspects.)

I disagree about the casual/hardcore distinction. A so called casual game can be exquisitely made and balanced on a very small budget and scope. As I said, I'm largely an indie gamer, so I rarely play games with huge development arcs and budgets in any case. (As well as actually playing games, part of the way I engage with the hobby is to donate to Kickstarters and follow development.)

I am terrible at Angry Birds, having little spatial sense, but it is still a beautifully designed and executed physics game with charming graphics.

Part of the reason I am wary of the distinction is that it is often used by angry male nerds to exclude women from the hobby. I am happy to include anyone who loves to game, whether they like text based erotica novella games or the latest blockbuster or Farm Heroes Saga.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
dickloraine
Addict
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

Any Suggestions?

Helen
How important is up to date graphic for you? If it is not that important,, then try out baldurs gate 2 (wouldn't recommend 1, it is somewhat slow and overall just not as good as 2). There was a hd revamp of it a short while ago. It is much more linear then the elder scroll games (and therefore has more story telling) but has also a very big world with many very great quests. You play a whole party in it and fighting is more tactical. Each of your companions has its own story and there is a special quest for each class you can play. It is one of the best rpgs ever.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
How important is up to date graphic for you? If it is not that important,, then try out baldurs gate 2 (wouldn't recommend 1, it is somewhat slow and overall just not as good as 2). There was a hd revamp of it a short while ago. It is much more linear then the elder scroll games (and therefore has more story telling) but has also a very big world with many very great quests. You play a whole party in it and fighting is more tactical. Each of your companions has its own story and there is a special quest for each class you can play. It is one of the best rpgs ever.
Pretty sure I have this somewhere but never played it. Used to buy anything RPG when it was $10 or less. Will have to hunt around in my bottomless box of old software/games.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:

Apart from being a loyal Pokemon Master and having poured more time than I care to admit into the Elder Scrolls (and, decades back, other WRPGs such as the Dungeons & Dragons ones) I consider myself mostly a niche Japanese and indie gamer, with a sideline in 4X games.

The last games to really obsess me were the Danganronpa games and Long Live the Queen.
*sings* 2.B.A. Master, Pokemon Master.

lol. loyal pokemon gamer here too, since the days of Red and Blue. i've got Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver (battery dead ), Gold, Crystal (battery dead ), Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, White 2, X, Alpha Sapphire, and Omega Ruby ^^ i own an N64, Gamecube, DS, and 3DS mainly to play Pokemon games!

outside of that though, i'm a fan of survival horror (Haunting Ground), dragon related (Drakan: The Ancients' Gate, Monster Rancher, and Spyro, but only BEFORE Skylanders), and animal based games (like Nintendogs, Echo, WolfQuest, Ookami, and Monster Rancher - again).

i stick with classic gaming though, i don't like games that need an internet connection to play something like PS3, PS4, and the X-Box systems. 3DS is the only acceptation. i also miss the games that required skill to unlock a new feature or character rather than having to pay to advance (like Candy Crush, i deleted it after i got so far into the game it required my to pay to move on or needed facebook friends to allow me to pass. i HATE Facebook!).

Last edited by Rika24; 02-05-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote