Janus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
iLiad in Aftenposten

http://www.aftenposten.no/kul_und/li...cle1451554.ece
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Heh, the photo of theirs would nicely fit in our around the world gallery
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
"Nå kommer lesebrettet" -

"here comes the reading board?"

Is that what that means?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle
Thanks for the link! Interesting reading.

The price is surprising. 4500 NOK = approx 550 Euro.

The iLiad pages are described as greyish, rather than white. And 'the software is not in a state to make this a finished consumer product.'

Carefully positive.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Janus
Janus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
I was hoping if anybody could make a translation or a summary of it, my Norwegian is only slightly better than my Japanese ;-)
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
I was hoping if anybody could make a translation or a summary
Translation would probably be copyright infringement without the permission of Aftenposten. (And there are sufficiently many passages that have me scratching my head that I realise I probably wouldn't make the text justice even then.)

As to summary ... here are some key sentences that are not just technical details or things that everyone say about the iLiad:

---
The "Iliad" is like an iPod for the news and publishing business...

I have read two of this autumn's norwegian novels on the tablet... neither better nor worse than paper, only different strengths and weaknesses.

The first thing that hits you is that the text looks so natural. ... The quality is that of a pocket book, the text is not as sharp as that of a hardbound novel, but did that ever make you put the pocket book away?

Book readers won't be the first users ... those who use laser printers a lot will ... everything that can be printed out could instead be saved on the Iliad.
Everyone who have to read large amounts of printouts would prefer to use the Iliad.

Not useful for net reading ... takes a few seconds to 'print' a new page.

The software is unfinished: the device is not a polished consumer product ... I think it will take several years before it will widely available in shops. ... Warning: Don't call it a lemon until a few years have passed.
--
ath is offline   Reply With Quote