Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Jens Cole
Jens Cole began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy tab 3
A fantasy book

Hello.
I'm looking for a book where the protagonist is from contemporary Earth and is sent to another world/planet where people live like in fantasy worlds. I'd like a more modern book (released around 2000). I've read a book that was close to what I described - 'The Lord of the Ice Garden', where protagonist is from future Earth and is sent to another planet with a rescue mssion.
Thanks on advance.
Jens Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You might want to post this in the "Name that book" sticky thread.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Jens Cole
Jens Cole began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy tab 3
I'm not looking for a book I forgot the title. I'm looking for a book someone might recommend that roughly fits my description. It doesn't have to be ezactly the same.
Jens Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Cole View Post
I'm not looking for a book I forgot the title. I'm looking for a book someone might recommend that roughly fits my description. It doesn't have to be ezactly the same.
From the way you phrased your post it sounded like you were looking for a particular book that you couldn't remember the name of. And as it was your 1st post I thought you might have accidentally posted in the wrong forum.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
have you read The Cutting Room (Ed Robertson)? i think it's free, and it's quite good. kind of a travel-to-parallel-earths type of book, with time-travel thrown in. Back To The Future meets Minority Report meets Blade Runner.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Hello.
I'm looking for a book where the protagonist is from contemporary Earth and is sent to another world/planet where people live like in fantasy worlds. I'd like a more modern book (released around 2000). I've read a book that was close to what I described - 'The Lord of the Ice Garden', where protagonist is from future Earth and is sent to another planet with a rescue mssion.
Thanks on advance.
Don't know about post 2000, but certainly there are been a number of the contemporary Earth to fantasy world, starting with A Connecticut Yankee in King Author's Court. My favorite is Brian Daley's Coramonde series, The Doomfarers of Caramonde and the Starfollowers of Coramonde. both were released in the early 1980's. The Complete Enchanter series by Pratt and De Camp is another classic set of stories from the 1950's. That's coming out in ebook in January or February.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay that starts with "The summer tree" and the Merchant Princes series by Charles Stross that starts with "The Family Trade". Also the Mordant’s Need duology by Stephen R. Donaldson that starts with "The Mirror of Her Dreams".
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Hello.
Thanks on advance.
The Darwath Series by Barbara Hambley.

Amazon UK
Amazon US

"As a student of medieval history, Gil Patterson is a woman familiar with dark stories. She knows the Crusades, the Black Death, and the other horrors of the Middle Ages all too well, but it is another kind of atrocity that has begun to haunt her dreams. She sees forces of evil assaulting a beleaguered kingdom, whose people are on the brink of annihilation, and awakes each morning in a cold sweat.

In The Time of the Dark, Gil dismisses the dreams until a wizard appears in her apartment. He has crossed into her dimension, passing through the fraying fabric of the universe, to ask her help."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
There are innumerable fantasy books which fit your description. A very good series is the "Spellsong" series by L.E. Modesitt Jr., the first book of which is "The Soprano Sorceress". You might also consider Rick Cook's "WizBiz" series in which a computer programmer is summoned to a fantasy world, in which he find that his programming skills make him a powerful wizard (excellent series!).

Then of course there's the absolutely classic "Barsoom" series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Harry has put together excellent collections of Burroughs's work.

They are all FREE and available in our Library.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Harry has put together excellent collections of Burroughs's work.

They are all FREE and available in our Library.
Unfortunately they're not. They were removed when the library went "life+70" . They'll be back in a few years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine series.
Tad Williams' The War of the Flowers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately they're not. They were removed when the library went "life+70" . They'll be back in a few years.

Oops!

My apologies.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
These are all older than 2000, as are most of the earlier recommendations. It's a theme that seems to have fallen out of favour in F/SF although still popular in romance courtesy of Diana Gabaldon.

Christopher Stasheff - The Warlock in Spite of Himself
Connie Willis - The Doomsday Book (time travel rather than to another planet)
Eric Flint - 1632 (also time travel and free from the Baen Free Library)

You might also like to check out this description of Sword and Planet Fantasy and the suggested book list.

Last edited by jehane; 12-30-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added wikipedia link
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote