Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
please55
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
Going beyond Adler's "How To Read a Book"

I recently finished Adler's "How to Read a Book" and I am looking for more material in the same vein that specifically that deals with analytical reading, uncovering propositions, rhetoric, arguments, and logic.

Currently my best find so far is "The Trivium" by Sister Miriam Joseph. Anyone else have similar or even better recommendations?

Thanks
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I.A. Richards "How to Read a Page"
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
please55
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Hmm, the book is mentioned by Adler...albeit a cursory search appears to bear little information on it.

Last edited by please55; 01-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
please55

Presumably I'm in the wrong forum. I'll update depending on how my search goes. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Moved to "Reading Recommendations".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
BenG
Innsmouth Swim Team
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager, iPhone 6
There's also How to Read Novels Like a Professor by Thomas Foster.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...2WX0MHWF9N3CP6

And it's companion How to Read Literature Like a Professor.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Liter..._bxgy_b_text_y

I leafed through the books at Borders about 5 years ago, but I don't remember much about them. There's also one for kids.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote