Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
NickyWithNook
Fanatic
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GlowLight, Kindle PW2 & Fire HD 6, iPad 3, Nook Tablet & Color, R
What's good on Scribd?

I got a 3-month free trial subscription to Scribd, and so far I'm into it. I'm wondering if anyone else uses Scribd, and if so, what you've enjoyed on it.

I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which I didn't really like, then a book called The Legacy which was reasonably good, and now I'm reading both Under The Dome by Stephen King, and a book called The Orchid House. Both are good.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Groupie
Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Ghitulescu knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: PRS-T1
Scribd was a service like youtube. And like youtube, which now belongs to google, scribd belongs to facebook.
Since then, everything is problematic. Even before I wasn't able to get a document that hasn't been altered, so that editing it had to be done, and in the meanest sense of the word, like removing blanks from within the words.
Maybe English documents are better handled.

In my case, most documents that are on scribd are also available elsewhere (in the original format, not f*ked up).

My experience are related to documents, not books, that were uploaded by private persons, sort of youtube at the beginning, or rapidshare. Books and documents provided by companies are probably a different story - I don't think the owners of scribd would dare to intervene in such documents, not only these companies pay scribd for the distribution but they also pay some fierce attorneys as well .

As for books, I have other sources for them. In fact I have read already most of the essential literature by now, and what I am reading now is mostly "niche" (technical, historical etc.) one. No scribd for me sorry.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Acer Iconia Tablet
I use ScribeD and love it. But I read almost exclusively fantasy and science fiction along with some business books. Looking at the ones you like, I don't think our tastes are similar enough to advise you.

But a great value in the service.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Fanatic
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do sometimes read science fiction, and I have in the past read some fantasy (like Ursula LeGuin and Anne McCaffery. I have a friend who is telling me I have to read some very long books by someone with the last name of Sanderson. I wouldn't count those books out! One thing is that I so often go with "safe bets" but with Scribd I can take a chance without any risk on some of those genres I'm unsure about.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:11 AM   #5
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Acer Iconia Tablet
Ok, here are a few of my favourite fantasy and SF books/authors on ScribeD.

Fantasy:
- Curse of Chalion - Lois McMaster Bujold
- The Fey Series - Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Dave Duncan - multiple fantasy series

Science Fiction
- Retrieval Artist Series - Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Star Trek - huge number of books
- The GodMakers - Frank Herbert
- Deathworld - Harry Harrison

Enjoy!
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
NickyWithNook
Fanatic

Thank you!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
Lin2412
Groupie
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't known that Scribd was such an oasis for good reads! I used to have it only for educational purposes and files (not necessarily fiction books). I may just go look into the site again for this. Wow.
I haven't read Under The Dome by Stephen King but I saw nice reviews from this one.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
thewitt
Enthusiast
thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.thewitt understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: iBooks
I put my first book on Scribd - against the recommendation of a writer friend of mine - but I'm not really sure if it will be read there or not.

It's an interesting service so time will tell if it was a good move or not.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire HD 6, Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Nicky I've been listening to the Immortals series (stars with a book by Jennifer Ashley, it's a multi-author series) and whe I am done with that, I'll go back to the Love at Stake series by Kerrelyn Sparks. After that I plan to listen to the Argenou Vampires series by Lynsay Sands.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
NickyWithNook
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
I haven't known that Scribd was such an oasis for good reads! I used to have it only for educational purposes and files (not necessarily fiction books). I may just go look into the site again for this. Wow.
I haven't read Under The Dome by Stephen King but I saw nice reviews from this one.
I had found this link to a way to get a free 3-month trial, if you want to try it: http://www.teleread.com/book-subscri...free-3-months/

I figure three months is long enough for me to know if it's worth it for me.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #11
Lin2412
Groupie
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I had found this link to a way to get a free 3-month trial, if you want to try it: http://www.teleread.com/book-subscri...free-3-months/

I figure three months is long enough for me to know if it's worth it for me.
Hello there Nicky! Thank you very much for this link. I now realized why I never knew Scibd had such features because they just started it last year, that's a long fast forward from my previous Scribd usage of my earlier school years.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote