|01-30-2010, 05:19 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2010
DX: PDF questions
I had the opportunity to try a Kindle Dx yesterday and I must say I was impressed with the form factor, resolution, and screen size. However, before I take the plunge I would like to sort a few things out.
Since my main use of the DX would be PDF's I would like to know:
1. Is it possible to rezise/convert pdf's so they scroll over EXACTLY 2 pages when in landscape mode? I found it very anoying that there very many (all?) pages where split over 3 parts... the last part containing only a few lines.
2. How about pdf articles with two or three columns, can these be converted to single column files? Or possibly to a two column file, but so that the columns can be read in landscape mode without scrolling?
3. Are there any tips & tricks for reading scanned magazines on the DX? Scrolling the columns in landscape is just too annoying and reading them in portrait is a bit too small at times.
4. Will PDF zoom ever be implemented... ?!
I hope people are displaying their dissapointment directly to Amazon as well...
|01-30-2010, 07:49 AM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2009
Device: Kindle DX
The concerns you expressed are the same frustrations many of us DX users have felt since we came to realize that the touted "native PDF support" means you can put them on the device, read them, and that's it. Frustrations aside, I love my DX and use it all the time to study. If they fixed some of your concerns and made it possible to mark/ highlight/take notes in pdfs, the DX would go from a 3.5-4 star device to a 5-hands-down-best-thing-ever star device in my mind.
Now, to answer some of your questions.
1. I have never heard of any way to change the way landscape mode starts chopping up pages into three after a couple of page turns (other than to rotate back into portrait mode to "refresh" the screen, but that could get old real fast). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
2. Here is a great thread on the discussion boards that talks about reformatting pdf files into other possibly more readable formats (depending on tables, columns, and other variables). Hope it helps.
3-4. Don't think I can be much help for these ones either. All I can say is you might not want to hold your breath for number four, even if people are displaying their disappointment directly to Amazon (if you've read any posts about folders, you'll understand why). However, with all these new large reading devices coming out (the Skiff and enTourage eDGe, for example) that have better pdf functionality, Amazon might feel some pressure to get things changed faster.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|pdf questions||omro||Apple Devices||14||05-30-2010 10:34 AM|
|[PB 301] PDF questions||MLDaeni||PocketBook||6||12-17-2009 08:07 PM|
|PDF->MOBI questions||tlc||Calibre||1||04-07-2009 06:21 AM|
|PDF questions for illiad users||cs2501||iRex||5||01-11-2009 07:23 PM|
|Reader for DRM PDF files questions||Katelyn||Which one should I buy?||4||02-12-2007 04:16 AM|