Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road
 
The GreatGonzo's Avatar
 
Posts: 180
Karma: 67
Join Date: May 2006
Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Ethernet connection

I realise this is ridiculously old-fashioned, but -

I don't have a wireless network at home. I don't even have I wired network.
What I have is a PC with a network card and a crossover cable which I thought would work for the Iliad - but it doesn't. Spent all day tinkering with it, can't get it to work.

Does anybody here have the same setup and it's working?

Or do I seriously have to hang out at Starbucks for my software updates?
Help!
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-books
 
Posts: 415
Karma: 754
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Madrid, Spain
Device: iliad, onhandpc, newton, zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
I realise this is ridiculously old-fashioned, but -

I don't have a wireless network at home. I don't even have I wired network.
What I have is a PC with a network card and a crossover cable which I thought would work for the Iliad - but it doesn't. Spent all day tinkering with it, can't get it to work.

Does anybody here have the same setup and it's working?
The problem is that the iliad NEEDS a DHCP server. You'll have to install a dhcp server in your machine to make it work.

And then, you have to configure the PC to do NAT/Masquerading, or install a proxy server if it's easier for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
Or do I seriously have to hang out at Starbucks for my software updates?
Help!
I think that with the two things above, it should work (I used ethernet, a dhcp server and masquerading rules for mine; at first I had problems because I didn't had a dhcp server running but after I configured dhcpd, it worked).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is
 
tribble's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,382
Karma: 2369
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany
Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
The problem is that the iliad NEEDS a DHCP server. You'll have to install a dhcp server in your machine to make it work
In OS 2.5b you can enter specific network data to connect to a network. Dont know if it works, havent tested it yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiFi, ethernet in Kindle II? catsittingstill Amazon Kindle 6 08-02-2010 02:18 PM
3G Connection Majorix Amazon Kindle 3 01-26-2010 02:53 PM
Wireless internet connection frustrating IDS connection Socrates iRex 8 10-21-2009 12:46 PM
Error on ethernet connection Kiba iRex 7 04-22-2008 07:13 AM
First connection Peregrine Sony Reader 5 11-02-2006 05:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.