Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
AZMerf
AZMerf began at the beginning.

Device: nook (Feb 12)
Anybody waiting for Apple?

In the wake of Apple's announcement on Wednesday, anybody going to cancel their order (assuming it has not shipped) to see what they are going to do?

Mine hasn't shipped yet and if Apple shows anything that is remotely going to do to publishing what they did to the music industry, I am going to think twice. After waiting a month for my nook, what's another couple of weeks.
AZMerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i am eager to know the announcement. it will be in a few hours..

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
My overarching thought: "Oh great, another underpowered, overpriced piece of fashion."
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
It depends on what you are in the market for. For me, and e-reader is for reading books and there's no way Apple can beat that unless they put an e-ink screen on their gizmo. Which they are not going to do.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I must ask, how does one pre-order a product that isn't released nor priced? I find it strange to ask about cancelling something that you can't buy.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I must ask, how does one pre-order a product that isn't released nor priced? I find it strange to ask about cancelling something that you can't buy.
I think he's talking about cancelling his "nook" order mate
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Well, there isn't that much longer to wait, but I don't foresee it being e-ink devices killer.

Had it been released a few years back when the e-ink technology wasn't where it is now with multiple vendors making connected e-ink readers in the variety of sizes with almost the paper-crisp quality it could have made a bigger impact on the readers (as in human beings) market.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
i don't think this will be a e-reader killer, but I hope it will infuse the tablet market.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
something tells me Apple table will not be $259
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I hope it comes in pink
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
JoelMBenge
JoelMBenge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I hope it comes in pink

You can have any color you want, as long as it's black.

Personally, I have my nook and love it. I already have an iPhone, which gives me the little Internet connectivity I need. If the Apple product ends up being some sort of actually useful computing device, I'll get the second generation of it.
JoelMBenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Stngray
Stngray began at the beginning.

Device: nook STR, iPhone 4, 3G iPad
Well I was waiting on the apple tablet. Not overly impressed with the iPad. Just ordered a nook. Looking forward to it shipping on Feb. 12. I will probably still end up with an iPad eventually, but I won't be in any rush.
Stngray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
AZMerf
AZMerf began at the beginning.

Device: nook (Feb 12)
Wow, what a disappointment! Glad I didn't cancel my nook.
AZMerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Why wait for Apple? It doesn't make ebook readers, like Nook. Just some use/ful/less gadgets.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
MarkScheuern
MarkScheuern began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I watched the unveiling carefully because I was considering canceling my nook order (Feb 1 ship date) if I really saw something I liked. I didn't. I can see the iPad being useful for some things (and, as a photographer, I see it as a potential market) but it looks like a pretty poor book reader. Looking forward to my nook.
MarkScheuern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, itablet, nook