Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #271
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Ah, I see the confusion now. I was responding to this, but you were actually asking about the root process for a classic Nook.

I'm not familiar with the Classic, but why not wander over to the Nook forums on MR and ask there? I'm sure somebody can help you out.
Just go to http://nookdevs.com
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #272
surakmn
surakmn began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
From reading this thread it seems I could run the Android Kindle App on a rooted Color Nook. Is that true. Anyone does this and likes it?
If true I probably am going to Root it. I HATE being restricted to one supplier.
Yes, the Kindle app works fine, as do the Android versions of Nook, Kobo, etc. I have several readers loaded and price shop between the different stores.
surakmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #273
surakmn
surakmn began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
I am interested in ONLY the Kindle application provided from Amazon to use on an Android phone. Has anyone tried this and does it work on protected books.

Has anyone gotten that to work?
Not quite sure what you mean by protected books. By definition, Kindle software supports the Kindle books you buy from Amazon.

The Kindle supports a few other formats, including Mobi, but doesn't handle DRM in Mobi. For that you need iReader.

I've used the Kindle software on both phones and tablets and it worked fine.
surakmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #274
TPp
TPp began at the beginning.

Is there any Android book reader that supports dictionaries? In case I read book in second language... If yes, what are the readers and will I be able to use dictionaries when not connected to network?
TPp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #275
Logseman
じゃんぬねっ
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Cervantes Touch Light
Cool Reader supports two dictionary types, which you can download and install. Once they're installed you can use them offline.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #276
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
http://market.android.com/details?id=udk.android.reader

ezPDF Reader - PDF Viewer with TTS support.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #277
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of itbeartard has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101 View Post
http://market.android.com/details?id=udk.android.reader

ezPDF Reader - PDF Viewer with TTS support.
Added to the list. Thanks for your suggestion!
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #278
David Marseilles
Leap & a net will appear.
David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus⁴ & Kindle⁴
I have two big requirements I'm having trouble meeting in the same package. 1) screen lock. My device has a keyboard, upon sliding out, it moves to landscape, but I prefer to lock it in portrait. 2) the ability to turn pages with my keyboard's arrow keys. The above is how I do book form with the my Touch Pro2, and combined with the tilting screen it makes it very comfortable to hold while l'm lying down. Reading is part of my routine and helps me fall asleep at night, so book form is important to me.

So far, the only android reader I've found that does both of those two things is the kindle reader. Hypothetically, someone whose entire library was from an now defunct store and format and might now be in a new and accessible format might be wary of using the reader a large and all seeing entity for those titles. Aldiko, which I otherwise love, won't allow me to turn pages with the arrow keys.

Does anyone know of a reader that does screen lock and allows page turning with the arrow keys? Alternatively, does anyone know of an app that can remap arrow keys to volume keys, which aldiko will allow you to turn pages with (especially on a per-app context basis)? Most of the remap apps I've found focus on a phone's face buttons or are otherwise too limited.

Thanks.
David Marseilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #279
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Does anyone know of a reader that does screen lock and allows page turning with the arrow keys?
Moon Reader allows screen lock and mapping of d-pad up/down/left/right to page turning, but I don't know if your keyboard arrow keys would be mapped to d-pad buttons?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #280
David Marseilles
David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Moon Reader allows screen lock and mapping of d-pad up/down/left/right to page turning, but I don't know if your keyboard arrow keys would be mapped to d-pad buttons?
I'll give it a try. Maybe no mapping will be necessary. In winmo, anything you can do with the dpad, you can do with the arrow keys. Maybe it will be the same with android. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #281
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I'll give it a try. Maybe no mapping will be necessary. In winmo, anything you can do with the dpad, you can do with the arrow keys. Maybe it will be the same with android. Thanks.
No problem. They aren't mapped by default (at least on my installation), you need to go into settings, then Control Options.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #282
David Marseilles

Best one I've tried so far. Thanks mp.

I had some odd issues with assigning the buttons, but that could be as much related to my hack of an android build as anything else, and it works well enough now. I haven't been using Android to read since installing it a few weeks ago, but I think I'll give it a try tonight.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #283
emilianm
emilianm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a way to synchronise the current reading position and the reading experience between two android devices(a tablet and a phone) with a "General Purpose Reader" (Aldiko, Laputa, Cool Reader ) ?Thanks !
emilianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #284
Logseman
じゃんぬねっ
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Cervantes Touch Light
AFAIK, you can use FBReader with a third-party app called FBSync, provided that you have a Dropbox account as well. It needs the devices to be rooted, though, so it's a bit of a hassle.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #285
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see Mantano listed yet.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one