Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Nexus 7 mine !
Smartphone as an eReader ?

My wife wants me to get a cell phone so she can call me anytime in an emergency etc

I want a phone I can use as an eReader
The Nexus 7 is an ideal reader around the home but a little large and heavy to carry about in a pocket

I'd like recommendations for a suitable smartphone please

Quelch
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Purple Lady
Wizard
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 LTE, Nexus 7 3g, Sony PRS-950, K3 3G, Nexus 5, Boyue T62
How about a Nexus 5? It's got great resolution.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Samsung Note 2, Samsung GMP 5, Nexus 7 32GB
I have the Samsung Note 2. It has a 5.5 inch screen. I have no trouble reading on it, it has turned into my main reader when on the road. Or you could get the Note 3 which I believe is 5.8 inches.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick replies
I'll have a look at the Nexus 5 and the Samsung note 2 and 3
Old 09-10-2014, 04:09 AM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD; Nexus 7; PRS-350, 950; Kindle K; OnePlus One; Galaxy S4; MBP.
On my recent thread about the OnePlus One, a few people verified that the LG G3, with its recordbreaking ppi density and flagship resolution (1440 x 2560 pixels, 534 ppi), is exceptionally good for reading. If I were looking for a smartphone based solely on its readability, I'd buy the G3 without a comma's pause.

And that's coming from someone who owns a Galaxy S4 as well as the OnePlus One.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-04-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
I've been using my phone (LG G2) as a on the go reader for a while now and it has worked really well. I know some people don't like this but I have found that putting a matte screen protector on the phone really helps for reading both in the sun and out. I find the clear protectors and unprotected screens are not as easy to read on.

I've been in the market for a new EReader but ever since I put a matte screen protector on my tablet (LG GPad 8.3) I'm now thinking I may just stick with that. For me the only real upside to a dedicated EReader now is the battery life and direct sun reading but I still have my Nook for that. But I have to admit I still want one but I'm not sure I need one.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
alicepattinson
Suspended
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Note is a great phone and a reader
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
edwind
edwind has learned how to read e-booksedwind has learned how to read e-booksedwind has learned how to read e-booksedwind has learned how to read e-booksedwind has learned how to read e-booksedwind has learned how to read e-booksedwind has learned how to read e-books

Device: smartphone
HTC Desire is small and light but big enough screen to make perfect reader. I use it mostly in bed on night setting so as not to disturb partner. All action page turning one hand only. She loves that I can still cuddle (put my arm round) while reading.
Perfect for waiting on a train platform or sitting in the car waiting for the children to come out of extra curricular activities.
edwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Anthem
Fanatic
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (7th gen.), iPad Mini 2, Fire HDX 7"
No matter what model you go with, the primary concern will be screen quality. Get an up to date phone that has a good screen resolution made by a decent manufacturer and it should suffice as a good on the go reading device.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
On my recent thread about the OnePlus One, a few people verified that the LG G3, with its recordbreaking ppi density and flagship resolution (1440 x 2560 pixels, 534 ppi), is exceptionally good for reading. If I were looking for a smartphone based solely on its readability, I'd buy the G3 without a comma's pause.

And that's coming from someone who owns a Galaxy 4S as well as the OnePlus One.
I can attest to the LG G3 being a good reader to take on the road. The clarity is awesome. I've never used a phone as a reader before, but I highly recommend the G3.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
Quelch
Groupie

The LG G3 is a little expensive at $ 799- Australian

Local company has SONY Xperia-Z-Ultra 4G LTE for $349-

Would this be suitable as an eReader ?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Anthem
Fanatic
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (7th gen.), iPad Mini 2, Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
The LG G3 is a little expensive at $ 799- Australian

Local company has SONY Xperia-Z-Ultra 4G LTE for $349-

Would this be suitable as an eReader ?
The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is a HUGE phone with decent specs and a high resolution display. As far as I can tell from the reviews (and my experience with previous Sony phones) this would probably make a good reading device that also doubles as a decent smartphone/almost tablet experience.

But that's just me: you may want to look at one in person and see what you think. Generally speaking, Sony makes extremely high quality phones and tablets.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #13
Quelch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is a HUGE phone with decent specs and a high resolution display. As far as I can tell from the reviews (and my experience with previous Sony phones) this would probably make a good reading device that also doubles as a decent smartphone/almost tablet experience.

But that's just me: you may want to look at one in person and see what you think. Generally speaking, Sony makes extremely high quality phones and tablets.
Thanks for the quick response and reassurance Anthem
A good idea to get a little hands on experience before plonking down my money
Next time I have to go into the big city Brisbane, I'll check them out and a few other models
Old 10-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
Teknikal
Evangelist
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Nexus-7, LG G3
Interesting the G3 came up I just bought one today.
Haven't experimented to much as yet but i did load up mantano and I've never seen text look as sharp an crisp. Battery seems strong as well Ive been playing with it nearly the whole day and I'm actually typing this very comment on it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
kyrilson
Connoisseur
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350(2), Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire HDX,iPad Air
I just got an LG G3 today, myself. So far I'm very impressed with it. Going from a samsung galaxy s3 is a pretty big leap.

The screen is amazing for reading.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote