Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #46
schroedercl2
Enthusiast
schroedercl2 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
While we are talking about "recipes" for a genre, have a look at Diana Wynne Jones' "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland", a hilarious look at common fantasy tropes, written by someone to primarily writes books that fit into that particular genre.
Thanks for the recc! I'll have to check that out. I love satire.
schroedercl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #47
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
If you've only got two minutes left for your daily romance, this plot generator is a perfect companion for anyone interested in 18th century love affairs.

http://www.ugoi.net/nonsense/plot.html

*sigh, those were them days ...*
I loved this! haha. Thanks for posting. Hey, now I don't have to buy/check out books anymore! jk.
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #48
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
From the shooting script of 'The Fisher King' by Richard LaGravenese

...Romance is romance no matter what kind
it is...It could be a Victorian lady
kidnapped by a viral sea captain
with a hairy chest...or a horny pizza boy
seduced by a housewife with a hairy upper lip.
As long as there's heart, passion,
and little bit of fantasy...romance is
the stuff of dreams...there's always
more to trash than meets the eye...
Thanks for posting that! I liked it
Old 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #49
reader22
Enthusiast
reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
LOL, I remember reading a while back that Harlequin/Mills & Boon do actually have a handbook/guidelines of things that must be included/not included and how certain 'things' can and cannot be described in their lines like Harlequin Presents (which some folks here seem to think are the only kind of romance out there).
Guidelines: http://www.eharlequin.com/articlepag...=538&chapter=0
All publishers have guidelines. Harlequin are just more specific because they are the only publisher who produces category romance, and their reading audience is specifically looking for a certain type of romance in each of their different lines. I keep hearing that there is a list of "things" which can and cannot be included, also apparently there are rules about how often the hero and heroine should kiss etc. I have yet to see this list. Perhaps someone could direct me to it.
reader22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #50
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader22 View Post
Guidelines: http://www.eharlequin.com/articlepag...=538&chapter=0
All publishers have guidelines. Harlequin are just more specific because they are the only publisher who produces category romance, and their reading audience is specifically looking for a certain type of romance in each of their different lines.
The Blaze line of red-hot reads is changing the face of Harlequin and creating a continual buzz with readers. The series features sensuous, highly romantic, innovative stories that are sexy in premise and execution. The tone of the books can run from fun and flirtatious to dark and sensual. Writers can push the boundaries in terms of characterization, plot and explicitness. Submissions should have a very contemporary feel — what it's like to be young and single today. Heroes and heroines should be in their early 20s and up. We want to see an emphasis on the physical relationship developing between the couple: fully described love scenes along with a high level of fantasy, playfulness and eroticism are needed. And don't forget, secondary characters and subplots contribute to the richness of story and plot action we look for in a successful Blaze novel.

What is not to love?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
ebooks, romance, romance novels