Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
mark_k
mark_k began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5800 (Symbian, S60 g5)
Is Calibre site kosher?

Hello all, bit of a strange question for my first post on this forum.

I need to convert various file types into PDFs so that I can read them on my Nokia 5800 (Symbian 5th gen) mobile phone. I'm guessing I need to download Calibre.

However, when I try to go to the Calibre website via Google, my antivirus program puts a big grey question-mark next to it and says "site untested".

I realise I could be getting unnecessarily hysterical here, but the fact that this is such a rare occurence in my browsing and that I have had bad outcomes from going to dodgy sites before makes me hesitant about going there.

I'd appreciate some reassurance about the Calibre site or directions to an alternative source of the software.

Cheers.
mark_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8
The Calibre site and Kovid are completely safe.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
If you're talking about http://calibre-ebook.com/ , that is completely safe.
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
What AV are you using? I really dislike AV programs that try to tell me what's good for me when I know what I want to do and that it really is safe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
That's a fact Jack
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
mark_k
mark_k began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5800 (Symbian, S60 g5)
Thanks for the replies folks.
Yeah Baumi, that's the site.
JS, I'm using Norton 360. It doesn't say anything bad about the site, it just doesn't show the big fat green tick of comfort that I love so well.

Anyways, I'm heading over there now. Thanks again.
Mark.
mark_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad 2|iPhone 4|Sony 600
It's safe.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Norton package isn't safe though - it cost me a lot of money once when it started deleting all system files with Polish letters in names one day. Got rid of it, and I'm now avoiding Norton products.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #9
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I second and third that.

It's completely kosher.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I kinda like the AV's site testing system. The grey question mark, though, means simply that a particular site hasn't been tested YET. You can submit it for testing yourself by hovering the cursor over the question mark to get a pop-up. If you're going to Calibre's own site, though, it's as safe as houses -- and it's a superb piece of library software, Mark. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Norton package isn't safe though - it cost me a lot of money once when it started deleting all system files with Polish letters in names one day. Got rid of it, and I'm now avoiding Norton products.
Yup, I switched to Kaspersky and will never go back to Norton again.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote