Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
cloudyweather
cloudyweather began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Duplicate collections displayed in reader

If I have books on both an SD card and Internal memory with the same tag, say Science Fiction, I get 2 Science Fiction entries under the collections. One for the SD card and one for the Internal memory.

How do I just get the one?

If Collections is supposed to allow quick entry, i hardly want double the number entries to scroll through.

Many thanks,
Sean

P.S. I use Calibre - great product.
cloudyweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
You can add stuff from SD to collections which you created on the internal memory and vice versa. This way you only have one collection of that type but have all books within the collection that you want. This means that some books from your SD card will be in a collection which you created on the reader. It's the same if you put one book multiple times into a collection. You will have this book in that collection as often as you have put it into it.
Kind of a bummer, but once you know how it works, you can get around
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
cloudyweather

Thanks for the response.
How do you create Collections and add books to them?

I just have my library in Calibre, highlight the books I want to copy and select the destination - Internal Memory or SD Card.
This creates the collections automatically - every Tag and Series.
How would I copy a book to the SD card but add it to a collection in the Internal Memeory?

Many thanks,
Sean
Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Also, how would that work if you try to read them later at some time when the SD card isn't installed?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I'm only using the sony software to create collections and to assign books to the collections. To actually move books to SD-card or the reader, I drag and drop the files directly with windows explorer.

If you have the sony software open, there's a little "+" sign in the lower left corner. If you have the reader highlighted in the left pane of the window, pressing the "+" will create somewhat like a folder underneath the reader which you can name to your likes. This is your collection.
If you have an SD-card in the reader and highlight this storage location in the left pane, pressing the "+" creates a collection (folder thingy) on the SD card.

To put books into a collection, just drag and drop it within the sony software into the collection. This should do the trick. So you can put a book on the SD-card into a collection on the reader and vice versa (I'm just not sure right now whether you move the book to the collection or the collection to the book, but you can easily find out).

I hope this helps.

Ok, I forgot your last question. Books assigned to collections on the reader from the SD-card or collections on the SD-card won't show up if the card is removed.
This is true for the books. I'm not completely sure about the collection. If a book on the reader is assigned to a collection on SD, it may be possible that the reader itself makes the same collection within the internal memory again as the collection is kind of a tag attached to the book which would actually be located on the reader.

Ok, I hope this wasn't too confusing, but I'm in a hurry as I have to bring my little on to bed.
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
cloudyweather

Thanks again. I'm guessing I won't be able to use this solution as my books are under Calibre. For the Sony software to allow any book/collection manipulation, the books would have to be imported in to the Sony s/w.
I may have to just use the SD card.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru

You don't have to import any books into the Sony soft. Just connect the reader to your computer and all books on the reader and SD-card will show up within the software.

Like I said before. I just use the software to create collections. With all Databases, the database exactly needs to know where files are located to display stuff properly. So most database create a folder where they copy files to so that they can find them again later. This is the reason I do not use any of those programs to manage my books. I do this in explorer only and then organise them in collections with the library program (well, organising with collections only works on the reader and the SD within the reader, not for the folders I have set up for my books). Organisation on the PC is folder based only.

Hope this helps

Tags
collections, series, tags