Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Broodmdh
Broodmdh began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-300
Book size affects freezing?

I've been using my PRS-300 for several weeks now without issue, but I recently loaded a technical manual (1067 pages), and the reader freezes whenever I try to read it (regardless of page). I'm forced to reset the unit to unlock it. I would be surprised if the size of the book was the source of the problem, but I'm not sure where else to look. This pdf works well on my pc. Any suggestions?
Broodmdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Size should make no difference in "freezing"..... however..... With a larger book it will take longer for it to format it. I would let it set a couple of minutes and just see what happens.... if you already did that then it could be a problem in the formating of the book or it's table of contents. I have 2 PDF's that do the opposite of what you describe. That is, when I open them up in Calibre that lock. But on the reader they open up (slow) but fine.....

Anyway, hope you get it sorted....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
westrikr
westrikr began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Yeah with such large PDF's it can take some minutes. That seems like forever if you are waiting for it and the reader doesn't respond to any buttons any more at that time.

I would say when you won't need the reader, bring up the PDF and come back to the reader 15 minutes later. Once displayed it will come up much faster.

Also be careful not to touch the magnifier in such a PDF. Then it will reflow the whole PDF and that is what takes the processing time.

Remko
westrikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
pdp21stcentury
pdp21stcentury began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
Would it help to convert the pdf to epub format via http://www.epub2go.com/
pdp21stcentury is offline   Reply With Quote