Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #16
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Still, we have a machine three times faster than the Nokia 770 (according the bogomips loop) and four times faster than a librie. We could do something creative.

My own intention, primary, is to be able to read .tex documents and djvu scans from the P2P network. So I am sorry I am not going to be creative :-(
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #17
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Thumbs down Bleh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
However, the disappointing truth is that the software on the Iliad is just a cheap collection of desktop software ports.
That's indeed very disappointing. I haven't followed the many Iliad discussions going on recently, so this is news to me. I can imagine developers sitting on the fence on whether to develop Iliad-specific software. I presume their API is not cross-platform.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #18
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
which part of power saving shouldn't work, in your opinion?

Clocking down the processor, check, making the whole thingie hibernate, check. Both i can even do on my notebook running linux. Anything else? Ok, switching wlan off. Here i trust in iRex.
You can write software that does things efficiently. keep filesystem access low. do not spread things among processes that need inter-process communication protocols. Do not use a windowmanager that checks all the time if some window decorations have to be drawn, windows have to be moved or updated, if you don't intend to actually show some windows. Write applications that *know* that the device is single-user and essentially single-task, so they can throttle the processor when there's no user interaction - as opposed to when some heuristics notices there's no processor load.

Quote:
And concerning the pdf renderer: what's easier to do: write your own alternative pdf viewer for a running linux with an X server or do everything from scratch on a new device with strange new custom-built OS which most probably would never receive a proper SDK?
I don't know. I remember someone describing a commercial Zaurus pdf viewer (should be easy to port) that was written from scratch for this cpu and unbelievably fast. For 670 Euros I'd expect a little bit more than xpdf. But it looks to me like they took the easy road everywhere. As if everything was temporary dirty hacks that became permanent.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #19
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
I don't know. I remember someone describing a commercial Zaurus pdf viewer (should be easy to port) that was written from scratch for this cpu and unbelievably fast.
Picsel Browser. Seeing is believing:

little review with video

EDIT:

The interesting thing was, that it did open huge PDF, all it needed was enough memory...

Last edited by R2D2; 07-18-2006 at 04:05 PM.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote