Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sharp PC-Z1 Netwalker Review (from L'Ombre de l'Olivier)

I found an interesting review of a netbook that I'd like to share.

Quote:
When Charlie Stross mentioned this product I thought it sounded ideal for me. When I went to Japan I failed in my roll against SHINY! and bought one. I've now been using it for about two months. It is, IMO, almost my ideal pocket-sized computing device and allows me to do all sorts of things, particularly once I did some fairly major downloading and installing.

First things first. What is the Netwalker? Basically it is an original Asus eee on a diet. The original eee 701s had 4gb of disk, 512 Mb of memory and 1024x600 pixel display. The Netwalker has almost the same specs. There are of course differences: the keyboard is smaller (as is the screen), the processor is an ARM core instead of an Intel x86 one, the built-in flash card is MicroSD not SD/MMC and it runs ubuntu 9.04 out of the box instead of Xandros whatever that the eee came with.
continued here:
http://www.di2.nu/201001/12.htm
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
This is a very old form factor used by HP, Sharp, Sony, etc. back in the useless PDA days. It is simply a PDA on steroids--a toy. The keyboard is too small even for oriental hands to be useful. Sharp never did well in PDAs, so I'm surprised they want to throw away more money on them now.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sharp never did well in PDAs, so I'm surprised they want to throw away more money on them now.
The Zaurus was like the most popular PDA in Japan.

Granted the western audience for those devices is undoubtedly smaller, it's also quite cult like, and those powerful "PDAs" have some loyal fans.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is a very old form factor used by HP, Sharp, Sony, etc. back in the useless PDA days. It is simply a PDA on steroids--a toy. The keyboard is too small even for oriental hands to be useful. Sharp never did well in PDAs, so I'm surprised they want to throw away more money on them now.
I disagree. I have a couple devices in this category, and when I need to be extremely mobile I find them very useful.

For example, I'm going to buy something in this size range to use next year at CES (and other conventions, of course). As much as I like it, my 4 pound laptop weighs too much to be carried around for 8 hours.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MBA, DVP11
Quote:
I'm surprised they want to throw away more money on them now.
This category grabs hold of my gadget envy like none other. "Shiny" is a great description! Only problem is coming up with actual usefulness that can justify the cost.

I've also got my eye on these similar devices that I have no use for...
* An upcoming based on Moblin Linux and the Moorestown processor smartphone prototype from Intel that should be able to encroache on the "MID" market.
* The Viliv N5 which is a 5" clamshell running Windows. You can see specs here.
* UMID BZ 5" device
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
FrancisT
FrancisT is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook, Toshiba NB100
Quote:
Yes indeed it is a PDA on steroids. Enough steroids and other additives to be actually useful. Because it is a linux computer with wifi it is easy to connect to the world - no proprietary buggy "sync" tools - and has a familiar customizable set of applications.

As for the keyboard, YMMV but I'm typing this reply on my Netwalker and while it isn't as fast as I can type on a regular keyboard (e.g. my fullsize laptop) it's not massively slower. I do make typos and I'm using 2-3 fingers rather than proper touchtyping, but the slowest part is thinking what to say not typing it - a big contrast with any smartphone I've seen including the Nokia "bricks"

No one with any sense will use a Netwalker as a primary machine but it is the ideal "on the go" machine because you can use it to run everything you need.
FrancisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd love to hear why someone would get this. As I said, I can't think of any real use for this thing. Everything useful would seem to already be available with a top-of-the-line smart phone. And how does Ubuntu or Win7 even help do anything useful when it's on such a small form factor?

Nate mentioned using it at CES - would you really thumb type your notes? Couldn't you do that on a smart phone with a sliding keyboard?

FrancisT says "it is the ideal "on the go" machine because you can use it to run everything you need." So... what do you need to run on the go?!!!!

I'm not trying to be negative, as I truly would like to find a reason to buy something like this. But the more I rack my brain, the more frustrated I get about the prospects of actually finding a legitimate use. And even so, I'd almost buy it for the novelty of it. But once I got it, what would I do with it? Someone please help me understand.

In fact, it might be interesting to ask the various companies that offer these things. It's a simple question - "I'd love to have one of your devices due to a high level of gadget lust. But I can't come up with an actual reason to have one of these instead of just using a smart phone. What do you see as your target market and how do you expect users to make use of the device?" May have to do that when I get a spare moment!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I'd love to hear why someone would get this. As I said, I can't think of any real use for this thing. Everything useful would seem to already be available with a top-of-the-line smart phone. And how does Ubuntu or Win7 even help do anything useful when it's on such a small form factor?

Nate mentioned using it at CES - would you really thumb type your notes? Couldn't you do that on a smart phone with a sliding keyboard?
Actually, I use a spiral notebook for my notes. The netbook would be just for typing up stories and double checking photos.

If I have to chose between a carrying around a 4 pound laptop and not having a computer at all, I'll choose not to have a computer. Running around for 8 hours was bad enough without that extra weight. As it stands, if I can't find a netbook in time for my next convention I'll bring my SmartQ 7. IT should be adequate for the images and I could always wait to file stories.

Also, I don't have a smart phone.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Actually, I use a spiral notebook for my notes. The netbook would be just for typing up stories and double checking photos.

If I have to chose between a carrying around a 4 pound laptop and not having a computer at all, I'll choose not to have a computer. Running around for 8 hours was bad enough without that extra weight. As it stands, if I can't find a netbook in time for my next convention I'll bring my SmartQ 7. IT should be adequate for the images and I could always wait to file stories.

Also, I don't have a smart phone.
Interesting. No smart phone puts a whole different slant on this. And the fact that the laptop was worse than nothing also shows the importance of mobility.

But for typing and checking photos, I would think that a netbook would be easier. Of course, that's about the same idea as the SmartQ 7, but with a keyboard.

I would think that a light 9" netbook (maybe they aren't down to about 1lb yet, but surely they can get there soon) would probably work well. For me, it would seem like a small mobility tradeoff to get something that functions almost like a laptop.

But it certainly would cost you in terms in mobility to go to a netbook, and to be honest something with extreme portability is very appealing even if it's hard to use!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Nate Dulin used his boox to record notes at CES, now to expand that theme

is there any ereader that has bluetooth to attach one of those rubber keyboards.
Could be alot lighter than a netbook.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
zilyal
Connoisseur
zilyal began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
is there any ereader that has bluetooth to attach one of those rubber keyboards.
Could be alot lighter than a netbook.
The PocketBook 302 (out in a couple of weeks) will have Bluetooth and a USB host controller.
zilyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

That's an intriguing idea for those who take handwritten notes... with a touch enabled eBook device (especially Wacom), it might be a very light platform for note taking without having to get one of the new slate MIDs or small tablets.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #13
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
That's an intriguing idea for those who take handwritten notes... with a touch enabled eBook device (especially Wacom), it might be a very light platform for note taking without having to get one of the new slate MIDs or small tablets.
I've done this before on my Iliad. I wouldn't use it to take down lecture notes, though. But I've used it many times in meetings - I would print out meeting minutes as PDF and use that as a template for note taking. It worked well.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
If you write in perfect print extremely slowly and only take the most basic notes humanly possible.

It's far better to just have a small notebook (paper kind). I always have a pad of paper and a pen, and as romantic as the idea is of using a nice ebook device or tablet to replace them, they are far too slow and poor quality to be usable. I won't even use my dedicated Wacom pad to take handwritten notes on my PC, which is immensely faster and more precise than any ebook device.

Even a wretchedly overpriced notebook like a Moleskine is far more useful for taking notes and gathering information. Even a napkin and crayon is more useful in some ways.

As far as the Netwalker keyboard...I wonder how big it is compared to the original eeePC's. I can touch-type 70+wpm on that even with my sausage fingers. I have even taught a few chubbier-fingered folks how to do it without getting the finger cramps that are so often whined about. I don't use it for taking notes though since I have paper for that.

I guess not everyone can hold a pencil or pen for very long though...and more still have such terrible technique that they hurt themselves writing more than a few lines.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I really think that new text entry program, Swype, is a real game changer for writing supported languages on mobile phones and makes typing even on a 2.8" screen extremely fast and accurate. That means that support phones with screens 3.5 to 4.3" will be perfectly capable of being used as full fledged PDAs. Making such devices completely obsolete.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote