Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #301
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Sony VAIO - Video Audio Isomething Osomething
SonyEricsson P1i - pee one eye?
Imate PPC2000 - it's a PDA, nothing to do with mating
Apple Powerbook - the POWER book, not the iBook
Apple MacBook Pro - it's the pro, not the measly non-pro laptop
Nokia 3310, 6210, 6220 ... what is it with numbers?

I've had all kinds of devices, and honestly, it doesn't matter what it is called. If it's good, it'll be a name that pops up everywhere, be it Xcj2$2g or iSomething.
Whatever the name, someone thought hard about what that name is going to be and has some kind of "philosophy" to go with it.

Exceptions:
the Mitsubishi iMiev, specifically the launch in german speaking countries. "Mief" is a bad smell. So naming an electric car "I smell bad" is either a failed attempt at some subtle humor, or nobody from the german country managers dared speak up.
More inappropriate product names can be found here: http://www.isnichwahr.de/r15431388-1...duktnamen.html
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #302
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The iMiev is named after ev (electric vehicle).
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #303
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I am guessing the delay in the device was related to the power usage of the LCD screen and battery life overall.

A tablet device differs from an iphone because the screen would be on most of the time as you use it. They would have had to get battery life past 6-8 hrs, because any less makes it poor for mobile computing. Power is everywhere nowadays but not in some places like buses and some budget airlines, so if I take a reader on a bus I want more battery life.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #304
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I am guessing the delay in the device was related to the power usage of the LCD screen and battery life overall.

A tablet device differs from an iphone because the screen would be on most of the time as you use it. They would have had to get battery life past 6-8 hrs, because any less makes it poor for mobile computing. Power is everywhere nowadays but not in some places like buses and some budget airlines, so if I take a reader on a bus I want more battery life.

Your right but this is why apple arent and wont make a reader!

it will be a tablet and as such will run I reckon in the real world for approx 6 to 8 hours the same as a good laptop/netbook would. Which for the majority will be fine..

hey less than 10 days till we find out
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #305
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Actually I am looking for a iTouch with a bigger screen, a longer-lasting replaceable battery and connectivity to papers, magazines, and books. There are now a couple of very nice apps for the touch than allow book download and reading...just a bit small on an ipod.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #306
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The rumoured price says 800 for wireless and 1000 for phone equiped. Judging that the cheapest portable Mac is around 1100, it would be logical to assume* that it's a supersized iPod, or a new beast equiped with some iPod capacities.

*(rest in peace Benny Hill)
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #307
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Well, apparently if it is the predicted form factor, it won't have a AMOLED screen. At least within a year or two.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #308
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Your right but this is why apple arent and wont make a reader!

it will be a tablet and as such will run I reckon in the real world for approx 6 to 8 hours the same as a good laptop/netbook would.
A tablet with 6-8 hours duration will certainly make it a reader. A multi-task reader, but a reader nonetheless.

I think we got to move beyond the notion that everyone wants to read only formal books or only web articles. It isn't an either/or decision for me, and a device that will do both with 6-8 hours duration is in the sweet spot to meet my needs.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #309
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
T minus 3 days and counting until Apple unveils the Sacred Loc-Nar.

Seriously...doesn't matter which side of the discussion you're on, you just know Jobs is laughing his ass off at all of this.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #310
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Yeah, Jobs is laughing all the way to the bank!
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #311
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

If I were a marketing agent working fer a big company such as aPple, looking at threads such as this and others around, looking at all the enthousiasm surrounding this rumor, I'd holler my ass off to all the hardware developers in the company to get the d***** product out there.