Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Can anyone send me the system file for the Opus?

Rather stupidly I formatted the internal drive of my Opus and forgot to do a backup of the system files.

I have posted to the Mobile Read Cybook tech forum, but thought users might not see it there. All I need is the essential system files from the internal drive.

I have also contacted Bookeen support, but am not counting on getting a reply anytime soon :-(

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Many thanks.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. Does the "system" folder not get automatically recreated after a reformat? I thought that it did.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the problem is that I used my computer to do the format and just asked it to format as a FAT32 partition. AFAIK there is no format capability on the Opus itself. I tried flashing with the new firmware, and also with the Mobi 1.5 firmware and in neither case did it recreate the files.

When I searched for info on this problem I found many posts from Cybook users lamenting that they had done a similar thing so I am not uniquely stupid ;-) It's just a shame I didn't read the rest of the instructions where it said to backup the system files first!!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
I think the problem is that I used my computer to do the format and just asked it to format as a FAT32 partition. AFAIK there is no format capability on the Opus itself. I tried flashing with the new firmware, and also with the Mobi 1.5 firmware and in neither case did it recreate the files.
And what happens when you reboot the Opus? Does it fail to start up correctly? It USED to be the case, on the old 200MHz Gen3s, that you had to back up the "system" folder before reformatting, but on the newer Gen3s, and I thought on the Opus too, that the device automatically recreated it after a format.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
scgf
Connoisseur

It boots up fine, but asks me what language I want each time - as if it isn't saving the selection. Also, any other changes made aren't saved. I can access the menus OK, and even see the Digital Editions folder when I select folder view (has to be done each time I boot).

The problem is that books are not visible, even though I can see the files when I view the device as a usb drive.

Is there a way to format the internal drive on the Opus itself? Maybe the system folders etc. are recreated this way.
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Did you build a vfat file system on the partition?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
scgf
Connoisseur

All I did was formatted the internal drive as fat32 using the Mac Disk Utility app.

How do I do the vfat filesystem?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It sounds as if the Opus is mounting the file system as "Read Only", which would be done if it detected errors in it. Do you have access to a Windows PC that you could use to reformat the disk again as FAT32? Perhaps the Mac isn't doing it quite as a Opus "expects" it to be.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
scgf
Connoisseur

Hi Harry.

I also have Windows 7 on my Mac so am doing a full format of the internal drive of the Opus as I write.

The strange thing is that I popped a micro-sd card into the Opus (one that I had previously formatted exactly the same way as I had formatted the internal drive) and when I put a book on the card using Calibre, my Opus saw it and I could access it to read.

Very odd.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
The strange thing is that I popped a micro-sd card into the Opus (one that I had previously formatted exactly the same way as I had formatted the internal drive) and when I put a book on the card using Calibre, my Opus saw it and I could access it to read.

Very odd.
That would reinforce the idea that it is a problem with the file system. The card mounts as a different file system, of course.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
scgf
Connoisseur

Still no joy. Whatever I do it doesn't work. I have formatted the drive in Windows, on the command-line, I've made sure it has an MBR, I've re-partitioned it, I've tried diagnostic tools, all of which tell me there is no problem - there really is nothing left to do.

It is odd that the internal drive is completely accessible from Windows and from the Mac - I can write to it and Calibre can even read books directly off it. It would make a perfect removable drive. The only problem is that the Opus itself can't seem to read from it or write to it!

What next, I wonder. I would have thought Bookeen would have got back to me today :-(
Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
scgf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by di0gene
I am experiencing the same problems with a Cybook Gen3 rel. 1.5. It seems that the device does not retain the settings: it always asks for the language, no books loaded into the internal memory are shown; everything works with an external SD card.
Please, let us know if you get an answer from Booken support. I have tried but no success there.
Hi di0gene.

I just emailed Bookeen again, stating that under EU consumer legislation they are required to provide support. I have given them until Friday to acknowledge my support request, at the very least. If they are not forthcoming I will contact the relevant EU authorities. In my case they are technically the manufacturer and the retailer so they and they alone must offer an appropriate level of support.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
scgf
Connoisseur

After reading di0gene's response it could be that there is an issue that needs to be resolved - not necessarily my fault as I first thought. I can format and reformat the SD card as often as I want and it always accepts books placed on it either manually or via Calibre.

What's up with the internal memory that it is so finicky?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You should NEVER partition the Cybook internal memory, or you will may lose the capability of using the internal memory on the device.

You should never play with partitioning on theses device..

The only way I know to correct if it was done, is by command line under Mac OS X or linux by creating the filesystem on the "root" device not the partition

ie under linux

mkfs.vfat /dev/sdd

instead of /dev/sdd1

(the device name is ONLY given as an example)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
scgf
Connoisseur

Any idea what these commands would be under OS X?

When I do df I can see:

/dev/disk1s1 1984960 1808 1983152 1% /Volumes/CYBOOK OPUS