Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1st Gen, iPad 2, iPhone 5S
Profanity In Books

I'm reading a book now that has a bit of profanity. In ~386 pages it has maybe 80 uses of a few choice words, including a particularly profane one starting with the 6th letter of the English alphabet, and even more of a word with scatological connotations starting with the 19th letter of the English alphabet.

When I look at the reviews I see that there are more than a few that complain about the profanity.

To be honest, the profanity didn't even catch my attention until I read the reviews. Yeah, I guess if I really thought about it would have said "yeah, I guess it has a few 'bad' words", but they were all used in contexts like "Although he didn't give a flying duck about the state of his room." I mean, I was more offended by the fact that this sentence isn't even a complete thought!

So... out of curiosity... how do YOU feel about profanity in books?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
It's part of life. One person's fuck is another's dalliance
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, and two Androids
Honestly, it depends on the circumstance. And even then, there are a lot of gradations.

For instance, I know some folks who complained about the language in The Martian. But honestly, if I were left for dead on Mars I'd be swearing up a storm, too.

But it's pretty easy to tell when language has been inserted just for its shock value. I tend to stop reading when that happens.

I guess I don't have as much of a problem with the language as I do with its use and misuse.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:36 AM   #4
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
I don't care, and rarely notice particularly, because a decent writer will make sure that it's in character.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Kiki's back!
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O
It's been a while since I read Lady Chatterley's Lover, but I seem to recall some choice use of words that had direct relevance to the acts being described.

So, yes, I think context is everything.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'm not put off by swearing if it's used in realistic situations. By that, I mean in the real world. If fantasy novel characters start dropping f-bombs then that just breaks the illusion for me. I prefer the narrator to just say "He swore and...".
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6+ & Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I'm not put off by swearing if it's used in realistic situations. By that, I mean in the real world. If fantasy novel characters start dropping f-bombs then that just breaks the illusion for me. I prefer the narrator to just say "He swore and...".
To be fair there are a lot of modern English words that seem out of place in such stories when you know their etomology.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #8
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If a book is using cursing dfor shock value alone, it becomes rapidly apparent and I will put the book down.

Generally I find this to be indicative of a bad writer anyway, so not much of a loss.

If the profanity is used in a world-building way and accurately depicts the way characters would behave, I tend to ignore and gloss over it to the same degree I pretend people in real life didn't say anything... and not make a big deal of it.

Reviews are better than apps though!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
So what is the title of the book twowheels?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1st Gen, iPad 2, iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So what is the title of the book twowheels?
I always avoid that to avoid it becoming a side discussion into the content of that particular book. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote