Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad 2|iPhone 4|Sony 600
I had no idea that Kindle book reviews were different from other Amazon reviews. Thanks.

I almost always take advantage of samples unless I already know the author. It's usually important for me to like the style of writing and to get an idea of whether this book might be for me. After I got over the 'honeymoon period' of how cheap books are in USA and I just bought them if they looked okay, samples and a little bit of restraint have really saved me some money.

For non-fiction (mostly cookbooks so far), I've taken advantage of books.google.com if Google had previews of the book. For non-fiction it's usually nice to see more than the first 5-10% of the book.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
M.P. Jones
M.P. Jones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
And beware 'review mills' -- a new internet-based business model that charges authors and publishers for writing positive reviews and circulating them on line (including to Amazom). Shady to say the least. Neil
Wow, is there no limit to the ability for people to make a quick, and slightly shady, buck!

So, ahem, where can I find one of these sites?

M.P. Jones
M.P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Yeah I definitely go with goodreads reviews, not amazons.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone
For indie/self-pub books rely only on the negative (3 star and under) reviews.

Goodreads has the same problem Amazon does on low-circulation indie titles; also, some readerships are generally uncritical (m/m romance reviewers, I'm looking at you).

If a price is associated with the book, sometimes you have to try the free sample to see if the writing is competent.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote