Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #16
farmersteve
farmersteve began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
just a word about chargers
Most phones are now going to a USB chrger so it isa well worth considering buying a mains usb charger rather than a sony charger or if you are thinking os a new phone get one with a free usb charger
farmersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersteve View Post
just a word about chargers
Most phones are now going to a USB chrger so it isa well worth considering buying a mains usb charger rather than a sony charger or if you are thinking os a new phone get one with a free usb charger
Mains USB chargers don't work with the Sony - it will only charge from a computer's USB port.

The Sony mains charger connects not to the USB socket, but to the circular charger socket alongside it. No need to buy the (very expensive) Sony charger; the Reader has the same power requirements as the Playstation Portable (PSP), and any PSP charger works fine with it (widely available from any game shop).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #18
Yottie
Yottie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I would still consider getting a PSP charger if you don't have one - I've got a 505, and although bought well away from any potential Christmas-volume quality issues, once or twice I've had power issues which were quickly sorted with an overnight charge from the
mains. Also, if you're on holiday etc and don't have your laptop with you. it's pretty light to carry a PSP charger.
Yottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yottie View Post
I would still consider getting a PSP charger if you don't have one - I've got a 505, and although bought well away from any potential Christmas-volume quality issues, once or twice I've had power issues which were quickly sorted with an overnight charge from the
mains. Also, if you're on holiday etc and don't have your laptop with you. it's pretty light to carry a PSP charger.
Definitely get one. Not only does it charge a LOT quicker than it does via USB (about 2h for a full charge against 6h+ with USB), but, as Yottie says, you can charge it anywhere, without needing a computer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #20
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
Hi, NightGeometry! As for my problems in downloading ePub files from various sites - I'm using Windows XP and Firefox as a browser. It's the Firefox "download" section that I can't find unless I download another file, then it pops up automatically. But when I click on the file name of the book I want to transfer to my reader(in the download screen), the software version of the reader in my computer comes on and shows me the book. I can read it at the computer, but even when I connect the ereader to the computer, I can't get the blasted thing to move the book title to the reader! With some of them, I've discovered that I have to right-click the title in the download screen, then "open the file", then right-click the title in the little screen that appears and hit "send to" and then select "Drive F-Reader" and it works. But all this seems a bit complicated. Isn't there an easier way to do the transfer?
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Wetdogeared
Grand Sorcerer
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringecup View Post
But all this seems a bit complicated. Isn't there an easier way to do the transfer?
The Firefox>Tools>Downloads will show you where your downloads are.

I have created a separate folder for every format of downloaded eBooks, the one for ePubs I called "eBooks_ePubs". If you have the option, when downloading an ePub, where you want to save to, just pick the folder you have created for storing your ePubs. Or, after downloading to the default folder used by Firefox, copy it to its proper folder to help keep your downloads organized.

Once you know where your downloaded ePubs are, just use the import function of the Reader Library. You can import one eBook or a whole folder at once. The import function doesn't actually copy the file to the Reader Library, it just creates a link to where you have stored your eBook. Then you can use the drag option of the Reader Library to copy the ePub to your reader.

Sony Reader store takes care of all this and stores the ePubs where their software requires them; same with Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).

I hope this helps.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringecup View Post
Hi, NightGeometry! As for my problems in downloading ePub files from various sites - I'm using Windows XP and Firefox as a browser. It's the Firefox "download" section that I can't find unless I download another file, then it pops up automatically. But when I click on the file name of the book I want to transfer to my reader(in the download screen), the software version of the reader in my computer comes on and shows me the book. I can read it at the computer, but even when I connect the ereader to the computer, I can't get the blasted thing to move the book title to the reader! With some of them, I've discovered that I have to right-click the title in the download screen, then "open the file", then right-click the title in the little screen that appears and hit "send to" and then select "Drive F-Reader" and it works. But all this seems a bit complicated. Isn't there an easier way to do the transfer?
It sounds like you've turned on the setting to automatically open the .acsm file with the default application which is Reader Library. And it's Reader Library because during the install when it asked if you want Reader Library to be the default for ePub, you allowed it to be.

In Firefox, you'll need to go into Options and Applications and tell it to ask.

In Windows, you'll need to sort out .acsm and .epub not to be defaulted to Reader Library but instead be defaulted to ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote