Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
How fragile is the device

Hi guys

I'd like to know how fragile the Cybook is. Generally I take excellent care of my stuff and I'm thinking of making the purchase of a Cybook Gen3 my long-term goal for 2009. That's provided I can save up enough money before the end of the year.

Now I don't want to spend a huge amount of cash on an e-reader and then it just suddenly days for no reason after normal handling. Will the Cybook be able to stand the test of time if you take good care of it?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Hi Crusader,

I've got my cybook 9 1/2 months now and I take it with me to work every day in an ordinary backpack, stuffed between a notebook and my lunchbox.
No problems what so ever

I guess as long as you don't twist it there is very little that can go wrong.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
It's only the screen that is fragile. Too much pressure on little parts of the screen can result in a broken E-INK screen. I recommend using a solid cover when putting the device in ordinary backpacks.

@Crusader: Have you already joined the MobileRead Summer Giveaway? Maybe you will win a Cybook...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
It's only the screen that is fragile. Too much pressure on little parts of the screen can result in a broken E-INK screen. I recommend using a solid cover when putting the device in ordinary backpacks.
Note: It's not just the CyBooks screen - the eInk screen on every reader is fragile (being of glass substrate)!

Look for ideas on solid covers in the accessory section...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Note: It's not just the CyBooks screen - the eInk screen on every reader is fragile (being of glass substrate)!
Yes, you are right. It wasn't my intention to make out that only the Cybook screen is fragile. My current PRS-505 isn't my first one because i dropped the first one accidentally and beside some other damaged parts the E-INK screen broke.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
@Crusader: Have you already joined the MobileRead Summer Giveaway? Maybe you will win a Cybook...
Yes, I did. I'll be holding both thumb hoping I win... but saving every penny in case I don't.

I understand that the e-ink screens are fragile on all the devices just wanted to make sure that there's no Cybook specific problems.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I have heard a few problems with the SD card reader -- I had problems here. On the other hand I was able to get it replaced by Cybook.

Other than the somewhat fragile screen that is common to all e-ink devices I don't think the Cybook has any more (or fewer) problems than other readers.

BTW, the Bookeen is out of stock last I heard, and the factory has been working on quite a few new variations. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some changes to the features when it comes back in stock. Even if the long rumored firmware isn't pushed out to current owners, I wouldn't be surprised to see the new firmware, a new hardware case, and possibly some new innards. So, I wouldn't be exactly sure what you will get until you see it back in stock. Because of the new firmware, I'm not even sure what formats it will support.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Hi guys

I'd like to know how fragile the Cybook is. Generally I take excellent care of my stuff and I'm thinking of making the purchase of a Cybook Gen3 my long-term goal for 2009. That's provided I can save up enough money before the end of the year.

Now I don't want to spend a huge amount of cash on an e-reader and then it just suddenly days for no reason after normal handling. Will the Cybook be able to stand the test of time if you take good care of it?
I guaran-damn-tee you if you grab your Cybook Gen3 like a hammer and attempt to drive 10-penny nails, you'll not have a functioning Cybook by the end of the attempt. Same holds true if you try using it as a seat cushion or doorstop. But under 'normal' use, you should be fine. Trust me, I've, either on purpose or accidentally, put Cybooks through all three scenarios.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Keep it in the Bookeen case and treat it with a moderate degree of respect, and it'll be fine. Mine's travelled in my bag with me to and from work every day since Nov 2007 with no problem at all. What breaks the screen are "twisting" forces - it's relatively immune to everyday knocks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Keep it in the Bookeen case and treat it with a moderate degree of respect, and it'll be fine. Mine's travelled in my bag with me to and from work every day since Nov 2007 with no problem at all. What breaks the screen are "twisting" forces - it's relatively immune to everyday knocks.
I agree with Harry. But I can tell you one thing not to do - don't put in the side pocket of your jacket and then sit down so it's caught between your hip and the side of the chair. As Harry says it's twisting (or bending) which will break it.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've had my Cybook Gen3 since January of 2008 (yep, that's just about a year and a half) and have carried it on a train commute just about every day either in a handbag, shoulder bag, or backpack. I've also taken it on three trips involving air travel. I usually keep it in my handbag when I'm running errands, etc. as one never knows when one will have boring down time with an opportunity to pass the time by reading. The Cybook is in great shape. I keep it in the stock cover (which has rigid front and back panels and padding) at all times. I never carry it in a pocket. Hope this helps!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
fluorescent
fluorescent began at the beginning.

Device: a bunch
I gotta ask this. My friend and I got some of this static cling plastic screen cover.. and for whatever reason it wasn't sticking that well to the screen. So my friend, not knowing the screen is actually quite fragile, is dragging his finger across the screen with a good amount of pressure - like imagine you're re-sticking a label after it has fallen off kind of pressured. I yelled at him to stop, and the screen isn't broken... but, could he have ruined it? is it just waiting to break now? like maybe put hairline cracks in it that will break anyday now?
fluorescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As long as it was on a hard surface at the time, the odds are it's OK. The outer screen is tough plastic - it's the very thin glass screen that's under that which is fragile, so as long as that wasn't "bent" there's no problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My screen broke with a direct impact. It was on my bed and I must have kicked it out during the night. It hit off an exercise bike and the screen smashed. When I say smashed that's what the screen now looks like when I turn it on, I don't mean that there were bits everywhere.

If it's any help for people the Cybook Gold case is more protective than the old case. The edges extend further, meaning if it's dropped it'll hit the case no matter which way it falls. The magnets are also bigger, hence stronger, which means that the cover is less likely to flip open and expose the fragile screen. Finally the cover doesn't so easly flip over backwards, and I've decided that I'll never do that from now on, so that should I fall asleep the cover will close itself.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote