Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
And a Merry festival of Mithra

I know I am not around much these days but I plan to be in the new year........honest

So I just wanted to wish all of my friends on Mobile Read a slightly early (I know I have a busy week ahead) Happy festival of Mithra.

You will all be in my thoughts.

Pev
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Venue Pro 8
Hi Pev!! Happy Mithra to you too.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Hi, Peverel!

Not to knit-pic here, but I'm not sure there even was a "festival of Mithra."

"[T]he Mithraic Mysteries had no public ceremonies of its own. The festival of natalis Invicti [Birth of the Unconquerable (Sun)], held on 25 December, was a general festival of the Sun, and by no means specific to the Mysteries of Mithras."
-- Clauss, Manfred. From Mithras: Kult und Mysterien. Quoted in the Wikipedia entry, "Mithraic Mysteries."

Notwithstanding, I wish to you and yours a very merry Natalis Invicti and may your celebrations during the Saturnalia be joyous!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
I know I am not around much these days but I plan to be in the new year........honest

So I just wanted to wish all of my friends on Mobile Read a slightly early (I know I have a busy week ahead) Happy festival of Mithra.

You will all be in my thoughts.

Pev
I'm away too now for an extended period (doing super-secret secret stuff where I have to be suave and drink martinis and battle international criminal geniuses ) So Happy Mithra to all, and may almighty Atheismo bless us one and all in the upcoming months
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hi, Peverel!

"[T]he Mithraic Mysteries had no public ceremonies of its own. The festival of natalis Invicti [Birth of the Unconquerable (Sun)], held on 25 December, was a general festival of the Sun, and by no means specific to the Mysteries of Mithras."
-- Clauss, Manfred. From Mithras: Kult und Mysterien. Quoted in the Wikipedia entry, "Mithraic Mysteries."

Notwithstanding, I wish to you and yours a very merry Natalis Invicti and may your celebrations during the Saturnalia be joyous!
lol I should have learnt by now not to use artist license at Mobile Read lol

You are quite right, I took a bit of license and combined the Iranian feast of Mithra (Source - Dr. Taqizadeh) with the Roman dates to get what I wanted lol

May you have a wonderful celebration of whatever belief you hold dear and is fitting for this holiday season
Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
lol I should have learnt by now not to use artist license at Mobile Read lol

You are quite right, I took a bit of license and combined the Iranian feast of Mithra (Source - Dr. Taqizadeh) with the Roman dates to get what I wanted lol

May you have a wonderful celebration of whatever belief you hold dear and is fitting for this holiday season
Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Personally, I think the penguins are taking over, so happy Summer and or Winter Solstice to all!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
Quote:
proverb The Persian festival of Mehregan (Autumn Equinox) celebrations begins 1st of month of Mehr which usually falls on September 21st , though this year is on 22nd of September.
Wouldn't that be closer to Labor Day (US) or Columbus Day (US)?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Peverel
Still Easily Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Wouldn't that be closer to Labor Day (US) or Columbus Day (US)?
Probably, but they are not holidays in the UK, although I am happy to add additional holidays to the UK calendar if it means I can take them
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Merry Christmas, you loveable pagan!

Come on back soon, and be sure to bring a few new stories with you!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hi, Peverel!

Of course there were but they were secret!

We (being secret Mithraisists) now call it "getting together to shoot the bull".

Merry Merry and Happy Happy to all!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
... We (being secret Mithraisists) now call it "getting together to shoot the bull".

Have a Hamburger on me!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-22-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Awwww, such a nice blessing. Thanks, Pev. And Happy Mithra to you, too!

vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote