|12-18-2009, 05:47 PM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2008
Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Large eBook collections post PRS-500 EPUB firmware upgrade
A long while ago, before the PRS-500 EPUB firmware upgrade, I ranted the following in a thread:
I tend to suspect the Sony firmware, not the Sony software nor hardware, with respect to the crashes associated with large eBook collections. I use a 8 GB memory stick* (which indeed supports quite a large collection of eBooks) and it is, as you say, very buggy after disconnection. My routine comes down to:
1) Download the eBooks to the Sony Reader.
2) Discover the 'non-circling spinning arrows', followed by endless reboots and more 'non-circling spinning arrows'.
3) Remove the memory stick during a reboot. If no reboot, madly press the Reset button (which seems more like a 'Free Beer' button sometimes) and hopefully induce one.
4) Reinsert the Memory Stick and quickly reconnect the Reader to the PC running the Sony software.
5) Disconnect the Reader, then hopefully the Reader starts again recompiling the contents of the memory stick..
6) Wait 20 minutes or so, keeping an eagle eye on the Reader just in case it jams again.
7) Hopefully it finishes, showing that new book goodness. If not, go back to 2a.
8) Get used to waiting longer and longer for menus to load, saving bookmarks and getting used to scrolling hundreds of pages of books one slow click at a time...
Yes, a new firmware revision is needed.
*Yes, the 8 GB memory stick is supported by the Sony Reader (despite what the Sony Reader packaging said, greater than 4 GB indeed works).
Has anyone tried out a large e-book collection on their PRS-500 post upgrade? I will try it out sooner or later, just wondered if anyone has done it before me..
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|PRS-500 firmware upgrade..what do I lose?||radi0j0hn||Sony Reader||8||04-26-2010 02:49 PM|
|Round 2: Calling Sony Style re: PRS-500 Firmware upgrade||AprilHare||Sony Reader||3||12-09-2009 10:01 PM|
|PRS 500 Firmware Upgrade (UK User)||sambartle||Sony Reader||1||12-08-2009 06:53 PM|
|PRS-500 Firmware Upgrade Experience - A+||Brandon202000||Sony Reader||4||12-06-2009 11:27 AM|
|Will the PRS-500 get a firmware upgrade?||AprilHare||Sony Reader||23||11-27-2009 09:45 PM|