Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #16
Rechard
Rechard began at the beginning.

So,I think iLiad will be delay some months.

In last week, I saw the iLiad in Beijing of China, then and there a meetting was be hold about eBooks&ePublish. iRex CEO(Hans) with Mr.Zhou attend the meetting and show iLiad in that meetting.
But the iLiad is to me disappointment:
1. Too Slowly
when open a PDF file ,It spend 14 seconds at least.
Turn page ,i must be wait 3 seconds (dully)
2.Too much BUGS
In the showing period,device died several times.

Rechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:18 AM   #17
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
It seems like Irex reserved a special site for Iliad: http://www.iliad.nl/
Still empty.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-24-2006, 04:49 AM   #18
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechard
In last week, I saw the iLiad in Beijing of China, then and there a meetting was be hold about eBooks&ePublish. iRex CEO(Hans) with Mr.Zhou attend the meetting and show iLiad in that meetting.
But the iLiad is to me disappointment:
1. Too Slowly
when open a PDF file ,It spend 14 seconds at least.
Turn page ,i must be wait 3 seconds (dully)
2.Too much BUGS
In the showing period,device died several times.

1 - Slow - it's being worked on, and it must have been a big PDF, to open my PDF's it takes 10-20 secs. Looks like a lot, but personally i don't care has long has it loads them
So far no problems with pdfs i make

Comic PDFs around 50-100 megas (manga volumes, not chapters, say 200 pages)
Text PDFs 1-2 megas (baen books, say 500-800 pages)

2 - Hope they get the caching of pages working soon so it will only take the time to update, not to "open" each page. Suppose it's a matter of habit, i really dont think about it when reading...

3 - Bugs - now this interest me. What kind of bugs? In my Iliad it has never stoped working short of empty battery
Was the device using english OS and content, or the chinese versions?
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #19
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I've seen the channel 4 video, and there the page update looked pretty fast actually...mut that device alos had sudoku on it, so maybe it was the "newes test Os" they were running.
I really hope they manage to make a stable OS with all features enabled fast...otherwise this could mean a heavy blow for the image of the company and the image of eink readers in gerenal.

I would still like to know how they tested the battery life (10000+ pageturns, 21 hours with some wifi usage...they said that themselves...) almost half a year ago if they still don't have an Os that is even close to complete by this time...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:16 AM   #20
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
2 - Hope they get the caching of pages working soon so it will only take the time to update, not to "open" each page.
Yap. It shouldnt be that hard, to prerender the following page, and on page flip do the screenupdate and afterwards render the next page. That should be sufficient for normal usage. And it shouldnt consume too much caching space. But i guess thats in the hands of the viewer, isnt it?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote