Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
DNT
DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Newbie needs advice from pocketbookers

Hi there,
I'm brand new to the ebook world. After a few weeks of researching and reading, I've came to a decision that I shall reward myself with an ebook reader this xmas after my first semester at uni.
Right now I can't decide between the 301 and 360. I was thinking of waiting for the 302 since the design is so slick but touchscreen isn't exactly my thing. One of the thing I worried about is built-in light, which none of them has. (I tend to read a lot in the dark) On performance level, the 301 and 360 seems to be pretty close. To me, the 301 has an advantage of an inch (which I wonder how much difference would it make) and the 360 has a beautiful and unique design (I have a soft spot for beauties ).
So please, any ideas which one I should go with? Any input is much appreciated.
All the best,
Leo.
DNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have an old 6 inch reader.
Now I have purchased PB360 and it is a beautiful thing.

If you have poor eyesight and you need letters as big as possible, then go for 301. If you have good eyes, and you want something you can put into a coat pocket, go for PB 360.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
DNT
DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking something along those lines too. The 360 is much easier to shove into my pockets, which I do a lot. ^^
But is there that much a difference between 5 and 6 inches? Would the 5 inch readers produce text as big as a normal paperback book?
One more thing, I sometimes read outside as well, does the screen perform well under direct sunlight? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNT View Post
But is there that much a difference between 5 and 6 inches? Would the 5 inch readers produce text as big as a normal paperback book?
You can adjust the size of the font. Installing new fonts in the pocketbook is as easy as copy and paste, and adjusting the space between the lines is a breeze as well, so you can make it look as close to a paperback book as you want.
The difference, then, between 5 and 6 inches is the number of lines you get in one page, considering fonts of the same size in inches/centimeters (as opposed to pixels).

Quote:
One more thing, I sometimes read outside as well, does the screen perform well under direct sunlight? Thanks.
I think that's when e-ink devices perform the best.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
One of the thing I worried about is built-in light, which none of them has. (I tend to read a lot in the dark)
Can I ask, how do you read a paper book in the dark... none of them have a built-in light either?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
DNT

Thanks Francesco, that clear things up quite a bit.

To Bob:
I have a LED light to accompany my habit of reading in the dark. ^^

Another question just arise, how is the loading speed of pdf files on pocketbooks? I saw a video which showed pdf processing speed of the prs-505 and it was horrible.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, KT, PB701/IQ, K2, PB360, BeBook One, Axim51v, TC1000
PDFs and ebook readers are not a great combination.
PDFs are more of an electronic paper format than an ebook format and are generally targeted at A4 (or larger) paper and/or PC screens of 12in (or larger) size. Even the Kindle DX (9.7') is barely tolerable for PDF use so a 5-6" screen is going to be far from ideal. Text-only PDFs can be pre-processed to repurpose them and some of the newer ones might reflow but you really can't assume PDFs will be readable.
If your needs skew towards pdf use you probably need to look in a different direction; an Archos 9 or Asus T91 tablet, for example. Those will give you a good pdf experience but there is not a single ebook reader on the market that doesn't have issues with pdfs. That they succeed to any degree is commendable but pdf display is not a reason to buy any ebook reader.
It is not a feature you can rely on.
Not today and not soon.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can I ask, how do you read a paper book in the dark... none of them have a built-in light either?

BOb
hahahaha....snot!! great classic answer though!!

For the OP...there are all manner of hands free lighting options these days, I like using one that clips on the bill of a cap. You can also get heand band lights and look like Peggy Hill in bed reading...hey, it's better than looking like Peg Bundy!! Then again they both have huge feet...maybe they are one in the same?? hmmmm ...anyway, you will need to be creative with any of this type of ereading device as none of them have backlights because it simply does not work with the panel technology. Sony tried built-in side lighting but it did not succeed as well as people hoped. Currently, for night (in the dark) reading, I have my two handhelds in my signature. Both work well and can be had reasonably cheap these days.

I think you will love the PB360 though. I have yet to read about anyone who was not pleased with the reader....though I am sure they exist.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
DNT

@fjtorres: Thanks for the clarification. After reading a lot of the discussions in the forums I find out only very few devices work reasonably with PDFs (which is quite a shame).
@brecklundin: Thanks for the advice. Trust me, people in my family enjoy that show so much if I end up looking like Peg I would be the family icon.
I think I would order a 360 too. It's just gorgeous.
Taking in your advice, I should start visiting thrift stores soon. ^^