My understanding is that I will be able to read my Greek pdfs
on the PRS-600, is that correct?

but

ii) will I be able to use the SONY ebook store for buying
English language books?

And one more thing:

Since SONY Greece is not selling the PRS-600 reader
and in other European countries SONY stores
ask the ridiculous price of 299 Euros (=450$ !!!)
(that's right, they have just "translated the Dollars into Euros!)

can anybody please suggest a store in a European Union
member country that sells the PRS-600 for 300 $ (=200 €).

Thanks in advance for any help
and sorry for the long post but SONY is totally frustrating
for us potential international customers.

hioniam
Greece
hioniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello hioniam. I can read greek pdfs on my 600 just fine. They probably have to have the font embedded, but up to now I haven't had any problems.
You can't buy books from the sony store (that's only for USA I think), but you can try european stores like waterstones, whsmith, foyles, booksonboard uk and any other that sells epub.
I am from Greece but I spend most of my time in the UK lately, so I bought mine from waterstones (for 250 pounds plus 20 pounds gift card). I think the prices don't vary more than a few tens of pounds (or euros) at the moment, as it's a relatively new product. You might want to try your luck on ebay.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
hioniam
hioniam began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-600
Geia sou omk3!

Thanks for the reply.
It is important for me to be
able to read Greek pdfs on Sony Touch
as I have a very big colllection of Greek ebooks.

Now as about the prices 250 British pounds = 420 US dollars!
(When they sell it for 300$ in the US!)

I am thinking of buying one from the USA either through Borders
or eBay but don't know what the Greek custom office charges
for this.
Do you have any idea?

Again thanks for the help
hioniam
Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Geia hara hioniam
As I said, I never had problems with greek pdfs, because they usually have the font embedded. If they don't, I think you can do it yourself (search this forum for help, if you don't know how). The font that the prs-600 uses does display most of the greek characters, but has a problem with errr... tonous (oh yes, accents!), so the title might appear a bit strange, but the document itself will be fine.
I know it's much cheaper in the USA but I have never ordered anything from there out of fear of the possible custom charges. I think they don't hold every package, but if they do, you might end up paying the same or more as if you bought in europe (no idea exactly what the charge might be), plus lose a lot of time and peace of mind, going to get your package from the airport and so forth. Again, I have no personal experience with any of this, it's just things I've heard from friends. I personally thought it was ok to pay a little (or considerably...) more and have my reader at once, hassle-free and with no surprise costs.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
hioniam

Yes I see your point omk3.

I will think about it and search
a bit more if I can find a European
online store with reasonable prices.

One more thing if you please:
Since I won't be able to use the Sony ebook store
how I will be able to add books to the device?

Thanks again
hioniam

Last edited by hioniam; 12-08-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
There are many online stores selling ebooks. The wiki on this site has links to many of them:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page

Buy books in a format compatible with the Sony (e.g. ePub), and load them from your PC or Mac using the Sony software or Calibre
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
omk3
Wizard

You won't be able to buy from the sony ebook store, but of course you will be able to use the sony library software to manage your library of ebooks and add them to the device. Of course, you don't really need this either. You can use the far better Calibre to manage your library and synchronize your device, or even just use windows explorer, as the device is recognized as an external hard drive. If you buy epub books, you will need to download Digital Editions, and have your reader authorized. You can send your books to the reader using this software too.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
hioniam

Thanks for the replies!
Very helpful.

hioniam