Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
jdunn1
jdunn1 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
When Babies Dream

Hi Everyone:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...

I just published a short story I'd like to promote and hopefully get some buzz going and some reviews. This is published on Kindle but will be available on all other ereading devices very soon.

What would everyone think of an iphone app for a single short story? I think the iphone and itouch are perfect for short stories more than those devices are good for entire novels. Thanks, everyone.

*****Summary*****

Rescued from neglect, an eighteen month old biracial girl named Ciara is sent to live with Jim, a young and single white foster father who is afraid to take her at first. Over the next eight months, Ciara and Jim become the most unlikely of families until time carries both away.

Told through a dream, Ciara waits for a tornado to come for her. The tornado is strong enough to carry away but inside things are calm, just a little windy. Safe inside her tornado, Ciara finds windows of all kinds, some with fancy curtains, some even shaped like triangles floating all around her like moons. When she looks out the windows, Ciara sees her favorite memories of her life with Jim playing like scenes from a movie.

Forced to see Jim only in dreams, she relives the time when her life was safe and she got to be a kid. From the moment she was taken away from her mom to the moment when Jim was carried away, too is what Ciara sees, When Babies Dream.

A short story, easy to enjoy in a single viewing, and perfect for when you are between novels or have a limited time to read.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Babies-Dr...0153775&sr=1-1
jdunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
ardeegee
New Musicians of Bremen
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
1.) You want the "Writers Corner"
2.) Your story title makes me think of When Smokey Sings by ABC. "When babies dreeeaaam-- I hear vi-oh-lins! When babies dreeeaaam-- I forget ever-y thing!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 650, Ipod Touch
Ouch! $2.99 for a 19k story...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Ouch! $2.99 for a 19k story...
$0.99 for the story, $2.00 for Amazon.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
jdunn1

Hi guys. No, I would never charge 2.99 for a short, no matter what the length. I heard that kindlers will determine what to buy based on the kb. My 19k amounts to 5,000 words. I hate charging but I feel that gives people ownership and I would like for there to be some kind of short story market and if everything is free, what good is that. My kb's will be increasing. I have the cover, yet to add. Just know that I would never charge that much and I'd like to charge only 59 cents but that's not an option of Amazon or iphone or any other outlet.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
jdunn1

Ardeegee. Thanks for the post and setting me in the right direction. Funny, your song suggestion. Think more along the lines of 'Never Say Never' by the Fray, though.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you upload your story to smashwords?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Anything under 50k words is in my mind a short story, 5k doesn't even come close to being a story unless it is exceptionally well written.
I no longer even consider d/l anything less than 30k words unless it is from a known good author, I never d/l anything by a new author (new to me that is) that has any charge.
A short story market is already there and not everything is free, but somebody cannot expect to come along and jump on a gravy train. Creating a buzz and getting reviews is only going to happen for a new author if they promote the work, one way is making their first few pieces free so people can read at no risk. Smashwords has already been mentioned, you can put a more realistic price on your work and create time limited coupons to to give free copies to reviewers.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
jdunn1

Hi guys. Yes, the story is on smashwords. Thanks. Smashword's min price is also 99cents, though.

I respectfully disagree on the word count issue from the last post. Try selling a 30k "short story". Most magazines, which is basically what the short story market is won't take anything over 7.5k words and a good many want 5k and under. Also, a short story is not a novella, which is what 30k words is (and on the high end). A short story should be easy to read in one sitting.

Short storys should be just that, short and to the point, like a song.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
jdunn1

I almost forgot. I would love for some reviews. They would really help, not so much in producing sales but in helping me decide on turning this into an iphone app. If anyone would like to read this story for free, please send me an email and I am happy to email a free coupon from smashwords.

And don't think I am trying to cash-in on anything. I'm only testing to see if there is a market and thus far, I have spent over $700 on this story between edits ($300 of which was a total waste), illustration and cover design. For the 35 cents I earn on amazon for each sale, I could think of much eaiser ways to make money. I'm not trying to make money at all, just seeing what people are willing to pay for.

My email is jimdunn7118@aol.com. Just put something about review coupon or something in the subject and I would LOVE to send you a free coupon. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
jdunn1

Hi Everyone:

I just generated a coupon for someone to read my story for free on smashwords. When I generated the coupon, I found anyone can use it for a free download up until January 13, 2010. I still appreciate any emails about the story but no need to directly email me if anyone is interested in reading the story.

To the extent I can ask this, I would really appreciate getting comments on Amazon, also. You do not have to buy the story on Amazon, anyone can leave a comment as long as you have bought something on Amazon, before.

Any comments via smashwords, an email to me or Amazon would be fantastic and definately help me decide what to do with this.

I know it takes a relatively brave person to read an unknown's short story but this story has been edited by a few retired NY publishing editors so I hope that gives you a little push to trust me and read these 5,000 words. Thanks to anyone who reads it.

-Jim
jimdunn7118@aol.com

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/When-Babies-Dr...0735339&sr=8-1

smashwords (for free viewing) http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/6908

Here is the coupon code for smashwords:

Generating Coupon Code for When Babies Dream:
Your coupon code is QY58A (not case sensitive).
Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard

Thank you, Jim... looking forward to reading it...
Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
lene1949
Wizard

It says the code is invalid or has expired..
Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
jdunn1

I just got an email from someone else about this, too. Sorry about that, everyone. I went back to smashwords and generated another coupon. I signed up a dummy account and tested this code and it worked for me. If this still doesn't work, then let me know and I will think of another way to get this story to everyone. Thanks for your continued efforts to read this for me.

...please share this code and link with anyone you would like.

-Jim

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/6908

Generating Coupon Code for When Babies Dream:
Your coupon code is EP49S
Expires January 15, 2010
Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #15
basschick
Guru
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Kindle 3 WiFi, iPod Touch with Stanza
read and reviewed it on amazon. telling the story through dreams is not really my style of reading, and i felt sad because i've had friends who were stuck in the foster system and given back to troubled parents. hopefully the real ciara and her mother are doing well together.

i think you did a very good job of getting across what you were trying to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn1 View Post
I almost forgot. I would love for some reviews. They would really help, not so much in producing sales but in helping me decide on turning this into an iphone app. If anyone would like to read this story for free, please send me an email and I am happy to email a free coupon from smashwords.

And don't think I am trying to cash-in on anything. I'm only testing to see if there is a market and thus far, I have spent over $700 on this story between edits ($300 of which was a total waste), illustration and cover design. For the 35 cents I earn on amazon for each sale, I could think of much eaiser ways to make money. I'm not trying to make money at all, just seeing what people are willing to pay for.

My email is jimdunn7118@aol.com. Just put something about review coupon or something in the subject and I would LOVE to send you a free coupon. Thanks everyone.
basschick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, iphone, kindle, short story