Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Operating temperatures

Reading through the online manual for a new reader I noticed that they state that the operating temperature of their unit is between 0 degree c & 40 degree c.
Bearing in mind I would like to use the reader that I may buy on holiday (where the temperatures are liable to be high 30s, low 40s) is there any forum user that has the operating temperatures for the readers currently on the market? Or could users please list them in responses.
Has any reader owner had any problems with their reader whilst on holiday?
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The operating temperature is for the screen and, given the fact that all the eInk devices on the market use the same screen, they will all have the same range of operating temperatures.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Most of the posts about actual problems have been at cold temperatures, and I have seen reports of devices working ok at high temperatures (although you should test the screen in direct sunlight as soon as you get it, some screens fade and this is a manufacturing defect).

See A Question of Temperatures! for a comprehensive answer from Laurent Picard of Bookeen. Note that the upper limit is due to the battery when charging (so don't charge it outside), and the screen is ok up to 50 °C.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
(although you should test the screen in direct sunlight as soon as you get it, some screens fade and this is a manufacturing defect).
I'd be interested in knowing where you heard/read that fading in direct sunlight is a manufacturing defect. I've never seen anything that "officially" explains the sunlight effect. It'd be good information to have, if it really is a manufacturing issue.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'll repeat what I posted elsewhere...

There is no "official explanation" but the cause of the issue (a batch of defective screens by LG-Philips) was confirmed by representatives of PocketBook company when their devices showed the same symptoms. To make sure, you can open your device and check the model number of the E-Ink panel. ED060Sxx is PVI, LB060Sxx is LG-Philips.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
One OFFICIAL truth is what SONY states in their own PRS readers site, where they state that the vizplex screen can be read in DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

That statement, automatically confirms that we (the people that got the FAULTY SCREENS) got just that: Bad luck and faulty screens.

Sorry for the bad english. Anyway I am extremely pissed off at SONY for selling faulty readers. They are EXPENSIVE (compared with oem chinese ones) and it is supposed that the thing should work OK!! and now I cannot read it outside my home .... not even inside a car (if there is sunlight hitting it -NOT HEAT-, text will vanish!!!!!)

This alone is an instant NO-NO .... potential buyers should be warned by us.

Regards,
Enrique

Last edited by sigmax; 11-17-2009 at 03:32 PM.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmax View Post
One OFFICIAL truth is what SONY states in their own PRS readers site, where they state that the vizplex screen can be read in DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
Did they add "for extended periods of time" there? If not, perhaps it can only be read in direct sunlight for short periods.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All my devices are just fine in daylight. But I live in the UK, where the sunlight is not particularly strong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
In my case, the screen starts degrading just seconds after touching sun light ... as I said, inside car, on a comfortable temperature.

These days are cloudy down here. I will try to snap some pictures when sun shines, so I can post them here.

I am wondering ... anyone with an UV lantern ? maybe it is the UV ?
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'll repeat what I posted elsewhere...

There is no "official explanation" but the cause of the issue (a batch of defective screens by LG-Philips) was confirmed by representatives of PocketBook company when their devices showed the same symptoms. To make sure, you can open your device and check the model number of the E-Ink panel. ED060Sxx is PVI, LB060Sxx is LG-Philips.
I don't believe that's true. iLiads have had the same sunlight problem in the past, and they don't use LG-Philips screens.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
They all say that. Doesn't mean that they're immune to the fading problem.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry for the bad english. Anyway I am extremely pissed off at SONY for selling faulty readers. They are EXPENSIVE (compared with oem chinese ones) and it is supposed that the thing should work OK!! and now I cannot read it outside my home .... not even inside a car (if there is sunlight hitting it -NOT HEAT-, text will vanish!!!!!)
Will they replace it under warranty?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
iLiads have had the same sunlight problem in the past, and they don't use LG-Philips screens.
The iLiad fading was with pre-Vizplex screens. EInk explicitly claims that Vizplex works in sunlight, from here:
Quote:
High Resolution Active Matrix Displays made with E Ink's Vizplex Imaging Fim have a number of distinctive benefits over existing technologies. Commonly referred to as Electronic Paper Displays, EPD displays are reflective and can be easily read in bright sunlight or dimly lit environments while being able to be seen at virtually any angle - just like paper.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The iLiad fading was with pre-Vizplex screens. EInk explicitly claims that Vizplex works in sunlight, from here:
They said the same thing about pre-Vizplex as well. It has nothing to do with the fading problem, it's a general statement about the advantages of reflective eInk versus backlight technologies.