Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
what do you want to eat for a month?

starting this weekend I am going to start cooking and freezing things that are easy to warm up for the six weeks or so that I am laid up. I have in mind so far; spaghetti, chili (2 kinds, one with beans and meat and one that we call "Navajo green" being pork, green chilies, etc.), lasagna, navy bean soup, meatloaf. it's all kind of heavy but I need things that will freeze and defrost easily. I make a killer Hot&Sour soup but have no idea if it will freeze well (it never lasts long enough around here.

I'll try to get some fruits & veggies brought in and my garden should start producing a few things.

so what would you lay in for approximately 6 weeks of non cooking?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Shepherds pie

Maybe ingredients for a stew (and a slow cooker)

Some bottled salads (look for Mason Jar salads on the web). They last very well in the fridge
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Non-Edible Chicken
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Trail mix, energy bars - quick energy boosts.

Don't forget the cat food & litter!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I don't know about freezing shepherds pie, and bottled salads don't exist here

Yeah pooh, I'll have dog, cat and horse feed layed in for the duration, it's easier to plan for them than for me.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x3)
Have to say that I like your own choices, but how about a Thai chicken curry for something a bit lighter? If you like seafood, you could also put a fillet of fish in a greaseproof paper parcel with a little bit of white wine, a finely sliced onion and red pepper with a little bit of butter and fennel and freeze that. It'll cook fine from frozen in about half an hour or so (no need to cook in advance).

ETA having seen your last post. We freeze Shepherds Pie a lot and it's absolutely fine.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 05-09-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The basic idea with salads in a mason jar is to keep the salad dressing away from the things that might go soggy.

I tend to put a tablespoon or two of dressing at the bottom of the jarr, then a layer of cherry or grape tomatoes, followed by maybe some cubed chicken, then lettuce, peppers, cucumber etc, and then screw the top on.

When time comes to eat the salad, shake the jar to mix it all up, open the jar and pour into a bowl.

I've kept these up to two weeks in the fridge and it was as crisp as the day I made it.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Oh yum! On the chicken curry! Do you have a favored recipe?

With the fish how do you then cook it?(standing time will be limited)

With the shepherd's pie the mashed potatoes don't get all weird?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Oh yum! On the chicken curry! Do you have a favored recipe?

With the fish how do you then cook it?(standing time will be limited)

With the shepherd's pie the mashed potatoes don't get all weird?
With the chicken curry, I'm afraid I'm pretty lazy and use shop bought sauce with diced chicken . Nothing else and serve with rice.

For the fish, make each portion a separate parcel with the ingredients I mentioned in and just remove it from the freezer and whack in the oven at about 200c for 30 to 35 minutes. I like new potatoes with it and you can poor the cooking sauce into a saucepan after cooking and mix in a little cream to make it a bit thicker if you want (but it's not essential).

I've never noticed any problems with the potatoes on a frozen Shepherds pie.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

You might also like to check on a Meals on Wheels service in your area.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I would prepare a lot of soups.

What will be your problem? Will you not be able to move to town (or whereever) and buy fresh food or will you not be able to stand in the kitchen and prepare a meal?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
I like to do a big batch of a barley & beef hot dish/casserole thing my aunt taught me, although I sometimes substitute ground turkey or bison for the beef. It's kind of a thick creamy soup of sorts and is really tasty re-heated.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I'm appreciating all the of the suggestions! Keep them coming!

Billi, it's a knee re-replacement. The original job was botched. I Won't be able to drive for four to six weeks, and I live seven miles from the closest store and two miles from the closest public transportation. I'm pretty sure I'll be weight bearing right away but only for short periods of time
Old 05-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Some plain cakes or cup-cakes would be on my list. And bread freezes very well, and if you slice it before freezing you can just take the number of slices you want for either immediate toasting, or to defrost in about half an hour.

Oh - and tins of sardines make a good meal grilled on toast. Yum.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

Homemade frozen pancakes. Toss in the toaster to thaw
Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I don't do pancakes or even cakes for that matter, not much of a sweet tooth. I hadn't thought about breakfast things though, I can prepare a bunch of hard biked eggs! (Don't do cereal either) oh yeah! Quinoa, frozen fruit and Greek yogurt!