Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: When do you think the iRex online-shop will open?
18th of April, straight after the easter holidays! 1 4.76%
Sometime next week! 2 9.52%
Last week of April! 3 14.29%
Sometime in May! 9 42.86%
Sometime this year! 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

I think probably sometime next week, though it might be the week after. It doesn't make much business sense for them to make a half-month delay if there is actually going to be a delay of many months. That would just anger and disuade potential customers. So at the latest it will come sometime next month, but probably sometime this month, I think.

I just hope it doesn't cost too much.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Hello everybody!

I've been reading this forum religiously for the past month.
I was mostly interested in news about the Iliad, but i found a bunch of other interesting ebook resources in this forum;

Now, about the iRex shop:
I want it to launch as soon as possible, but i think they most likely launch at beginning of may.
I assume they are receiving input from testers and feverishly reviewing and changing code. Hopefully it will have an upgradeable firmware, that way it wont become obsolete in a year.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:14 AM   #18
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
it has an updateable firmware...so no worries on htat aspect...:-)

The price is lso fixed now it appears...unfortunately it is fixed VERY high, 549 Euro without VAT and Shipping. For Germany that would make a price just below 650 Euro.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #19
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
it has an updateable firmware...so no worries on htat aspect...:-)

The price is lso fixed now it appears...unfortunately it is fixed VERY high, 549 Euro without VAT and Shipping. For Germany that would make a price just below 650 Euro.
The high price is justified by iLiad being beleeding edge technology.
Also R&D costs so they have to get some money so they can continue research and developing new improved products.
The price is quite high, as stated on their website the device is for businessmen primarily.
I just hope that the friendly neighbourhood hacker will develop new apps to offset the cost of the device a bit.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
The price is quite high, as stated on their website the device is for businessmen primarily.
If you were a businessman, would you buy an ordinary calculator or notebook at my company, if I triple a price for it, saying it is "the device is for businessmen primarily"?

No matter, whom is the device for, the only things important - what can it do, can it do what you need, how much do you need functions, this device has, has any other device such functions & how much it costs...
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I agree TaKir...this whole B2B affair is a serious bore in my opinion.
What they are basically after is resellers. Like mobile phones...but the trouble is that "reseller" devices could be "branded" just like cellphones. And that could quickly kill interest for the "open platform" of the Iliad.
I'm willing to pay more for a device if I can get it open and clean without custom features (e.g. restrictions)...

but maybe i'm wrong...maybe the resellers will actually make the device better...
Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #22
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
If you were a businessman, would you buy an ordinary calculator or notebook at my company, if I triple a price for it, saying it is "the device is for businessmen primarily"?

No matter, whom is the device for, the only things important - what can it do, can it do what you need, how much do you need functions, this device has, has any other device such functions & how much it costs...
The point is that the device has features, like WiFi and a bigger display, that are designed to appeal to businesses. These do not come for free.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I'll say the webshop opens on Tuesday this week...any takers for a bet...^^

(nah...just kidding...about the bet...)
Old 04-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #24
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
wifi and bigger display ... I thought that appealed to everyone if the price is right?

Priced for the enterprise in the notebook industry usually means the tech support part is also part of the whole deal. In most companies, it means having the IT support folks trained in the product as well. And in many cases, the machine/device would come as a 3yr corporate lease package with support included. From what I know this is why enterprise-class notebooks are more expensive.

This may be true for the iLiad as well. If the newspaper folks start getting 10,000 iLiad units from iRex, they would probably send their IT team for training or receive 1 or 2 onsite tech support folk stationed inhouse to handle tech support. Or iRex may have some special arrangements to make tech support easier for them.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #25
drachasor
Connoisseur

I hope they fix these "shopping cart" issues and open the store soon. Waiting is annoying.

Quote:
wifi and bigger display ... I thought that appealed to everyone if the price is right?
I certainly think this is the case, though wifi will be much more useful if the Iliad allows more generic connections to a wireless network beyond just having it to be "pushed" things you have subscribed too. It is (hypothetically) possible a third-party could design a "reader" that allows this if the iliad doesn't provide such a feature natively.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:01 AM   #26
drachasor
Connoisseur

Hmm, I think the latest it will come is by friday, but most likely they'll open the shop wednesday or thursday. More likely thursday as that directly coincides with when they are showing the device off at Artec in Portugal. (From what I gather, Artec runs from Wednesday to Friday, or something like that, and Irex is showing the Iliad off on Thursday).

That's my current best-guess.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:50 AM   #27
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor
I certainly think this is the case, though wifi will be much more useful if the Iliad allows more generic connections to a wireless network beyond just having it to be "pushed" things you have subscribed too. It is (hypothetically) possible a third-party could design a "reader" that allows this if the iliad doesn't provide such a feature natively.
I've been skeptical of WiFi on E Ink readers from the start, since their low refresh rate would tend to prohibit real-time web surfing. I was curious to see how iRex would resolve the issue, and suspected that wireless implementation on the iLiad would resemble something like Palm old PQA content model for the Palm VII. Asynchronous refreshing wipes out most the advantages of local wireless connectivity, so WiFi on the device does little more than drive up its cost. Whatever else Sony might be doing wrong on their Reader, WiFi was one ambitious feature they were shrewd to avoid.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 AM   #28
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor
Hmm, I think the latest it will come is by friday, but most likely they'll open the shop wednesday or thursday.

That's my current best-guess.
You're all like kids in your belief in what Irex says. We won't see real devices in their shop soon, couse they dont have them yet.

They hardly found 75 devices for their testers

And do you really think, they can't fix their web-shop for 5 days? Very funny, verisimilar ))

In Portugal Irex will show the only spare device they have.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #29
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

well...i'm not so sure about that TaKir...

I would have said the same probably, but since Jörg Wrobel got a different explanation (and they seem to talk to him...) it might just be, that the true story is the webshop thing...

I don't think they'd release it on the same day as they do their artec show-off because it'd mean too much work and I think their manpower is seriuosly limited...^^
The artec thing marks the last day they could coose, because a lot of people will probably be asking "when and where can I buy one of these" there.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 AM   #30
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

To CommanderROR:
Did Jörg Wrobel got something but this "different explanation"? May be he saw storehouses full of boxes with Iliad? May be they told him addresses of these storehouses?

I can make up a dozen of such "different explanation", but they will be at least like true

Has anybody seen these paper-testers with Iliad in hands? Has anybody seen fotos of Iliad, but those made by Irex?

Definately NO for all these questions!

http://images.google.com/images?q=ir...=&start=0&sa=N

Something but the Irex advertisement should be already published, if they sold even if a single device accrording to their mysterious "bisiness-to-business solutions".

Their trade plans and terms are failed now. It's pity, but unfortunately it is so....
Bad beginning for a company with their first goods...