Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
diribarren
diribarren began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (US)
Updating US Kindle for International downloading?

Hello! Hey, I spent the outrageous amount of almost $500 on my Kindle DX thinking I could download books from anywhere in the world.... WRONG!! Now I see .... just a few months after getting mine... they release this International Kindle! I work all over the world and was soooo excited to think I could get books where-ever I needed!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to update my Kindle DX with the International whispernet capability???

HELP!! I feel like I was ripped off .... BIG TIME! Especially seeing the price drop (with the added world access)..... GEEZ!

Thanks!
diribarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no "international" version of the DX as yet; Amazon have announced that one will be released sometime next year.

You cannot "upgrade" the US Kindle to the international one, since the US model has a CDMA radio in it, and the international model a GSM radio.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Diribarren,

Sorry to hear about your problems, but, you know, you can't really blame anyone if you feel "ripped off BIG TIME". Amazon have always made it clear that Whispernet is available only in the US (and not even the whole of the US), apart from in the international Kindle 2. If you had just glanced at the info on the Amazon site, that would have been clear.

But there's a simple solution. You say you work all over the world. Presumably you have access to a computer in the various places where you work. Why not just download your purchases from the Amazon site to a PC or Mac, and transfer them via the USB cable.

I know it's less convenient than Whispernet, but it would be a relatively simple solution to your problem.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote