Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
OMG what an awesome link! :-)

send karma.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #32
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
If you live in the US, you can borrow ebooks from many public libraries. Those libraries must use the Overdrive digital media service. If your local library does not have ebooks, you may be able to get a library card from another larger library in your State. As an example, if you live in California and have a California ID card, you can get a library card from many of the larger city libraries in California and have large ebook selections.

cheers
I'm not sure if that is necessarily true. I noticed my local library advocates ADE *and* Overdrive.

When I got a card for a neighboring library (Washington, DC) they advocated Overdrive. After I installed Overdrive and checked a book ADE actually grabbed the book rather than Overdrive. So it would appear whichever program you have registerd for the book type (pdf, epub) is what will be used.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #33
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You may be confusing the Overdrive library ebook subscription service with Overdrive Media Console which is free software provided to download audio ebooks.

It's very confusing. Most of the U.S. libraries that offer ebooks use either the Overdrive subscription service or Netlibrary subscription service. Netlibrary does not support ereading devices although they have announced (about a year ago) that they would support Sony devices - so far my libraries that use Netlibrary know nothing about it.

Ebooks that the library can get from the Overdrive service include Epub, PDF and mobipocket formats. Each library makes their own choice of how many of each format they carry. You are correct in that all pdf and epub ebooks supplied by Overdrive automatically get loaded into Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Mobipocket ebooks can be downloaded directly to your PC, but you must first have supplied the library with a PID for where it will be used...either your PC or your ereading device.

That is why many folks who want to use library ebooks and do not have an ereader that is directly compatible with ADE have found other methods of altering the drm scenario used.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #34
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
You may be confusing the Overdrive library ebook subscription service with Overdrive Media Console which is free software provided to download audio ebooks.

It's very confusing. Most of the U.S. libraries that offer ebooks use either the Overdrive subscription service or Netlibrary subscription service. Netlibrary does not support ereading devices although they have announced (about a year ago) that they would support Sony devices - so far my libraries that use Netlibrary know nothing about it.

Ebooks that the library can get from the Overdrive service include Epub, PDF and mobipocket formats. Each library makes their own choice of how many of each format they carry. You are correct in that all pdf and epub ebooks supplied by Overdrive automatically get loaded into Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Mobipocket ebooks can be downloaded directly to your PC, but you must first have supplied the library with a PID for where it will be used...either your PC or your ereading device.

That is why many folks who want to use library ebooks and do not have an ereader that is directly compatible with ADE have found other methods of altering the drm scenario used.

cheers
I'm not overly surprised. I wondered about that when I saw Overdrive metioned as my local library makes it very clear it's used for audio files and ADE is advertised for pdf.

I did knw about the subscription service and I'd been to the Overdrive site to review it.

Thanks for the clarification though. I need to take another close look at that local library to see if they understand or if it's just me.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote