Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you rate the best?
The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan 1 7.14%
The Iliad and The Odyssey - Homer 2 14.29%
The Art of War - Sun Tzu 1 7.14%
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith 0 0%
The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger 2 14.29%
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 5 35.71%
Time Traders - Andre Norton 1 7.14%
The Young Man's Guide - William Alcott 0 0%
Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson 1 7.14%
The Republic - Plato 1 7.14%
The Big Questions - Simon Blackburn 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: ...a few days away from receiving Kobo Aura HD.
Smile The mother of all lists!

Hey folks,

I'm very close to acquiring my first eInk based eReader. I've been struggling with ePubs on my Smartphone for sometime now, and I wish to re-Kindle my passion for reading classic books on my Kobo Aura HD.

I will be using the device primarily for reading journals and technical PDFs but I've decided to devote some serious time toward reading classics.

The biggest problem arises with the choice of books, with thousands of great books to begin with. The internet is flooded with lists and book suggestions I just can't get past browsing through. There is the TIME Magazine's all time top 100, Amazon's top 100, Modern Library's, etc, etc! I simply don't understand where to begin.

Hence, here I am, trying to re-invent a custom list, and I plead all the good folks here to help me build a list of books based on the following preference:

1. Genre: "Influential" - implying books which inspired or influenced a lot of people in History. It could be a simple "Think & Grow Rich" kind of book or "Aesop's Fables" or the "Religious Scriptures" as well.
2. Language: English (or translated to English)
3. Type: Public Domain or Free
4. Format: ePub - provide download links if possible
5. Generation: Any

Now for the most difficult part. I desired just one list:

The Mother List: Suggest just one book. The "one" book that one must read before one dies.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE - 29th August 2014
````````````````````````

I have below the list of books recommended by various users in order of the date on which it was recommended based on polls:
  1. To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee Harper
  2. The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan
  3. The Iliad and The Odyssey - Homer
  4. The Art of War - Sun Tzu
  5. The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger
  6. Time Traders - Andre Norton
  7. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
  8. The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
  9. The Young Man's Guide - William Alcott (currently reading - 90%)
  10. The Republic - Plato
  11. The Big Questions - Simon Blackburn
  12. Dragon's Egg and Starquake - Robert L. Forward
  13. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandré Dumas

Books already read, but considered good.

14. Walden - H D Thoreau
  15. Sherlock Holmes Series - A C Doyle
  16. The Mahabharata - Ved Vyasa
  17. Utopia - Thomas More
  18. The Holy Bible
  19. The Complete Works of Shakespeare

I intend to convert this list to a rating based one, through polls. I request everyone to participate, and wish to thank you for your time.
Click here for the current poll results.

Last edited by xibalban; 09-08-2014 at 10:49 PM.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd suggest Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan as one to read. You can find it here at MR MR copy and there is an annotated text at Feedbooks (also free) Feedbooks. The man who did the annotated copy also made a concordance to go along with it: Concordance.
crich70 is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Galaxy (Aldiko)
Homer the Iliad and the Odyssey
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
MR Link Got you covered.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
Please don't include these books because I've already read them.

1. Walden by Thoreau
2. Sherlock Holmes Series
3. The Mahabharata
4. Utopia by Thomas More
5. The Holy Bible
6. The Complete Works of Shakespeare

That will be it. Thanks in advance.
Damn! I've read some of Sherlock Holmes, The Bible and Shakespeare, but not ALL of them.

I am impressed!

...and welcome to Mobile read!

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith

Last edited by Angst; 08-21-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: First recommendation wan't free.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.xibalban is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'd suggest Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan as one to read. You can find it here at MR MR copy and there is an annotated text at Feedbooks (also free) Feedbooks. The man who did the annotated copy also made a concordance to go along with it: Concordance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Quote:
MR Link Got you covered.
Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks especially to crich70 for the MR Links.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 AM   #7
xibalban
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Damn! I've read some of Sherlock Holmes, The Bible and Shakespeare, but not ALL of them.

I am impressed!

...and welcome to Mobile read!
Oh, I read them quite a long time ago on Hardcover books borrowed from the local library. Thanks for the book suggestions.

I'd thought that I'd start with "The Catcher in the Rye", should I?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
To Kill a Mockingbird > The Catcher in the Rye if I had to pick one.
HomeInMyShoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Luffy
Fanatic
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
To Kill a Mockingbird > The Catcher in the Rye if I had to pick one.
Seconded. Harper Lee's ONLY book, won the Pulitzer Prize, and the movie adaptation won an Oscar for best film.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks especially to crich70 for the MR Links.
You're quite welcome xibalban. Happy reading.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Rbneader
Addict
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Andre Norton was a grandmaster in fantasy and sci-fi who wrote a lot of influential and excellent books. I've also recommended her 3 times today, oops. Oh well, she's a great writer. Her public domain books are at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/7021. I'd start with Time Traders which is the first book in her Time Traders series.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Andre Norton was a grandmaster in fantasy and sci-fi who wrote a lot of influential and excellent books. I've also recommended her 3 times today, oops. Oh well, she's a great writer. Her public domain books are at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/7021. I'd start with Time Traders which is the first book in her Time Traders series.
Are any of her books actually in PD? She only died in 2005. granted some of her books were written in the 30's but are some of them in the clear due to the old copyright laws?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Galaxy (Aldiko)
She may not have renewed copyright on some on them.
Many of her books are free or inexpensive at amazon.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
Rbneader
Addict
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Are any of her books actually in PD? She only died in 2005. granted some of her books were written in the 30's but are some of them in the clear due to the old copyright laws?
Yes.

Until a few decades ago, copyright needed to be renewed regularly. Some books got renewed and some didn't. The ones that didn't are in the public domain in the US, regardless of author age. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright is your friend. Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pyright_length

PG does their own research. They wouldn't be up at PG if not. I'm not sure why you think I'd link to a pirate site, dude.

Last edited by Rbneader; 08-23-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950, 350s, N7, &...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Seconded. Harper Lee's ONLY book, won the Pulitzer Prize, and the movie adaptation won an Oscar for best film.
Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch won the Best Actor Oscar, but Lawrence of Arabia won for Best Picture that year.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote