Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Stephen King's "Under the Dome" - SPOILER THREAD

I'm holding out for the official ebook version of "Under the Dome" but I know some of you are reading the hard cover or darknet versions now.

I wanted to have a thread where to discuss the book without giving too much away to those of us who are waiting.

Please discuss... I promise not to peek (well, I'll try really really really hard).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
So far it's like reading 'old, good' Stephen King. I'm halfway through and it does not feel at all like a slog, as so much of his work has in recent years. Now we'll just have to see if he's managed to write a decent ending (a weak point of his writing I've always found).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Endings are the downfall of many a great writer (not to mention the not-so-great). There's an art to achieving a balance between novelty and satisfaction that few master.

Personally, I like endings that get readers thinking and let them fill in some blanks with their own imagination. That's what I tried in my latest book, with questionable success.

(Love your sig Moejoe. Don Van Vliet's my favorite poet!)
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
Endings are the downfall of many a great writer (not to mention the not-so-great).
I would say that applies to Dan Brown's latest. Great read, excellent character development but the ending was pretty bland.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Enjoyed the book. He starts out gang-busters with his character definitions and situations. Oh, what characters that man can create. Style reminded me of Kings earlier works... I appreciated that. Must admit to some surprise with the last 200 or so pages... but, it was not disappointing in the manner of the Dan Brown book.
Overall, I give it a 4 1/2 stars. Has a nice beat and is easy to dance to.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It is so hard not to read this thread
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Thank you for the double mention of this being on par with the "early" King ... I never liked the tv movies, only read a book about a marathon with people getting shot, but this thread might actually push me to get this book.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Thank you for the double mention of this being on par with the "early" King ... I never liked the tv movies, only read a book about a marathon with people getting shot, but this thread might actually push me to get this book.
That book is called The Long Walk, it's part of the Bachman books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bachman_Books

I enjoyed all four of them very much.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
My two favorite King books are It and The Stand. Is this book in that league?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm finished! I would also put this book as being similar to King's Bachman Books. My fav order is now:

The Stand (still #1)
The Dark Tower Series
Under the Dome would be a tie with The Long Walk (I have been haunted by this story for years)

Spoiler:
Did anyone else imagine Rush Limbaugh as Big Jim.

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-01-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Daffy4u - Ooh, ooh, ooh....Me too!!

Quote:
I never liked the tv movies,
The problem with King's stories and TV/Film, is that there is so much in the stories that happens in a character's head, and of course, there's no way to film that. His stories (for the most part) just don't translate well onto the screen. And it's a shame that so many folks who see the movies don't read the books, so they never understand what a really good story teller he is. (Please note...I did not say 'great author'....he's a darn good Story Teller!)
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm finished! I would also put this book as being similar to King's Bachman Books. My fav order is now:

The Stand (still #1)
The Dark Tower Series
Under the Dome would be a tie with The Long Walk (I have been haunted by this story for years)

Spoiler:
Did anyone else imagine Rush Limbaugh as Big Jim.
I really enjoyed this book. Best in a long time. The Stand was my favorite as well. I tend to like a long read and they both qualified as long and engrossing. I was struck at how many pop culture and current event references were sprinkled throughout. This seemed a very "now" book. It will date itself. I do not remember his other works being so.

Spoiler:
I did not get a Rush feel from Big Jim. Wishful thinking?
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post
I really enjoyed this book. Best in a long time. The Stand was my favorite as well. I tend to like a long read and they both qualified as long and engrossing. I was struck at how many pop culture and current event references were sprinkled throughout. This seemed a very "now" book. It will date itself. I do not remember his other works being so.

Spoiler:
I did not get a Rush feel from Big Jim. Wishful thinking?
The "nowness" struck me as well. I laughed a the Tiger Woods references.

The Stand, for me, is still a great adventure, as is The Dark Tower series. Unrelated people coming together from different places and/or time. Both are big sweeping works with hope playing a very big part.

Under the Dome, for me was claustrophobic and really hopeless until the end, which was a bit too simple. BTW, the end reminded me of similar Twilight Zone and Star Trek episodes.

Oh and on "wishful thinking", maybe, since a certain person had some heart issues this past week. It just all seemed to fit.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
A Throw-A-Way

I'm sure that some of you would throw away some of my books too, but...

"The Stand" is only the second book that I have ever thrown away. Normally if I don't like a book I just give it away.

But I tried reading "The Stand" 3 times over a year and a half. Just couldn't.

The only other book that I tossed was "A Confederacy of Dunces". Just trying to read a short summary (http://www.gradesaver.com/a-confeder...short-summary/) made me sick.

There's more than one book in the world because we all have different taste. And while I "know" that S. K. is supposed to be great, there is something in him that reminds me of "A Confederacy of Dunces".
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
I'm sure that some of you would throw away some of my books too, but...

"The Stand" is only the second book that I have ever thrown away. Normally if I don't like a book I just give it away.

But I tried reading "The Stand" 3 times over a year and a half. Just couldn't.

The only other book that I tossed was "A Confederacy of Dunces". Just trying to read a short summary (http://www.gradesaver.com/a-confeder...short-summary/) made me sick.

There's more than one book in the world because we all have different taste. And while I "know" that S. K. is supposed to be great, there is something in him that reminds me of "A Confederacy of Dunces".
I don't have a problem with you not liking The Stand but hwy are you "throwing" books away, instead of passing them on or donating them?