Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #1
Malti09
Malti09 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arabic mobi conversion problems

Hi everybody
I am trying to use calibre to convert an Arabic text in html into mobi format.
The conversion works perfectly for ebook format BUT the mobi conversion results in the sentences being shown backwards. Each word is correctly written, but the words appear left-to-right, not right-to-left.
The large green text in the pictures below shows what I mean.
The text in calibre.jpg reads correctly (alf layla wa-layla)
The text in kindle.jpt reads backwards (wa-layla layla alf) !!!
(this is the introduction to the 1001 nights)
Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this problem?
Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	133566

Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	133567
Malti09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malti09 View Post
Hi everybody
I am trying to use calibre to convert an Arabic text in html into mobi format.
Try converting to AZW3 and see if that works. It may be that the old mobi format just can't support arabic.

Or it may be that calibre doesn't do the conversion right. Does it make an ePub that displays correctly? If so you could try converting that with KindleGen and then splitting the output into mobi and azw3, if it's really mobi that you need.

If it is a calibre problem, I'm sure Kovid would be interested in some samples in a bug report.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Try converting to AZW3 and see if that works. It may be that the old mobi format just can't support arabic.
The old Mobi7 format indeed doesn't support Arabic, but the new AZW3 format definitely does. If the Calibre conversion fails, try Kindle Previewer, which will automatically generate a hybrid mobi file with the old and new formats.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Malti09
Malti09 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
thanks for telling me about AZW3 format - it works perfectly
Now I need a site to download books in Arabic....
Malti09 is offline   Reply With Quote