Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
akita
akita began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini retina
EPUB to MOBI, kindle shows extra space after quotation mark

Hi all,
I have a bit of a bizzare issue and was hoping someone can shed some light on this one.

I just bought a Kindle Paperweight 2015 version. I also use Calibre. I have bunch of books in .EPUB that I converted to .MOBI, and uploaded the files to Kindle via USB.

the file shows fine, and the conversion looks fine.. but I noticed that for every leading quote followed by a capital C, Kindle shows extra space between the two. All other letters following the leading quote has no space.

so instead of
"Captain"
it shows
" Captain"

I looked at the MOBI file that is on my computer using Calibre, and strangely enough, the extra spacing does not exist when I display it using Calibre. but the same file viewed within Kindle after being uploaded, I get extra space, in combination with " and C.

I don't know if this means there's some control character that is being inserted in the " and C combination during the translation, or it's some bizzare Kindle bug when dealing with MOBI files generated by Calibre. so far I have noticed this pattern in at least 2 of the books.

I would be willing to edit the .MOBI file with search/replace, but since the extra space doesn't show up when viewed in Calibre, I'm not sure what to look for now.

and I don't know if this is Kindle problem or some translation problem between EPUB and MOBI.

any clue?
akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by akita View Post
I have bunch of books in .EPUB that I converted to .MOBI, and uploaded the files to Kindle via USB.
MOBI is the old Kindle format. Select AZW3 as the output format for better results

Quote:
Originally Posted by akita View Post
[...]but I noticed that for every leading quote followed by a capital C, Kindle shows extra space between the two.
Some epub books use special styles that'll display initial quotation marks as drop caps and/or in a larger/different font. I.e., the space might have come from a style (possibly via a pseudo selector) or a hard-coded non-breaking space.

Please post the HTML code and the relevant styles of a sentence where this problem occurs.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote