Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Exiton
Exiton began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best 5" or 6" device for Text PDFs?

I've got a lot of books in PDF form which are narrative, not technical drawings or pictures. I'm looking for an 5" or 6" ebook reader (<$300) which handles these types of PDFs the best (reflow, font size options, etc). My second priorities are price and epub support (I think that's the digitial library format).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited by Exiton; 11-08-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Exiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Considering that they are almost all running Adobe Digital Editions these days (the PDF and ePub software), the reader doesn't really matter.

I really like my Sony, but they seem to very unresponsive to customer desires. The Astak people, at least, listens to what people want and the manufacturer continues to release updates to make the software better.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Given that the PDF is not technical stuff with images, I'd say for 6", the Sony PRS-600 is best. But I do think even that is not good enough. To be honest, I do feel that non of the eink devices with a 6" screen are good enough for PDF (overall).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do feel that non of the eink devices with a 6" screen are good enough for PDF (overall).
Yeah, chances are that you are going to get the best results by converting (e.g., via Calibre), anyway.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Considering that they are almost all running Adobe Digital Editions these days (the PDF and ePub software), the reader doesn't really matter.
Actually it does matter, rather a lot .

For text PDFs, you want a device with PDF reflow, not with PDF zoom (some ADE devices do one, some the other). For example, you'd be better off with a Sony (which will reflow) rather than a Bookeen (which zooms) device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Exiton
Exiton began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks everyone... I'll look at the Sony 5" pocket if it drops to ~$150-175 this holiday season. PFD Reflow away!
Exiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
If it helps any, I've read quite a few fiction books in pdf format on my sony 600 and most have been very good. Just had a few headings which stretched over a couple of lines as they were too big.

So I think for pdfs which aren't heavy on images or a complex layout, you'd be fine with a sony reader.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote