Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #31
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry, Kindle PW2, LG G-Pad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
If Adams were still alive, I am sure that there would be an ebook. Dude was a serious techie, and was known for it.
Did some more searching and it seems that the latest hhgttg book is available as an ebook, but it seems to be via the uk publisher and seems to be region-restricted, so not good news for american fans of the series.

On a similar note, due to their wot ebook a month policy, the 12th book in that series won't turn up until a year after the hardback, it seems like a plan that will be a boost to illegal downloads with them increasing interest in ebooks, but withholding the one people would most want. Given that they knew when the latest book was due out it just seems so wasteful on their part to have not ensured the rest of the series were out sooner when interest in rereading them would have been highest, leading into a release of the new one in ebook now e.g releasing 3 a month from july would have been one option and then they could have even listed a virtual boxset of the 12 books at this point as well.

Last edited by Crowl; 10-27-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #32
dremo
dremo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Did some more searching and it seems that the latest hhgttg book is available as an ebook, but it seems to be via the uk publisher and seems to be region-restricted, so not good news for american fans of the series.

I stumbled across And Another Thing listed in the iPhone App store. It is $14.99 and list Hyperion as the app author. In the details of the app is says that it is "Available exclusively on iPhone and iPod touch until December 2".

Hopefully, when December 3 rolls around we'll be able to get it from Fictionwise or Books on Board.

Drew
dremo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #33
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbiss View Post
Makes me want to make a "Don't Panic" screen-saver for my Kindle.
Here you go (not mine, but I'm using it on my Kindle)
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #34
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
At least we don't have to wait a year, like we used to for paperbacks.
The new Wheel of Time book was released today in hardback, but according to the publisher (Tor) they won't be releasing the ebook for about another year. Thanks but no thanks. I don't want to lug around a ridiculous hardback, but I'm also not waiting a year to read a book. I'll either drop the series or pick up a hardback used just so I'm not paying anything to Tor.

And they're "moderating" the comments over on the Tor blog. I left a comment telling them just what I wrote above, and they deleted my comment instead of posting it. *sigh*
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #35
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Not surprising they are more sensitive about their cash cow.

They probably won't let you write ... the staggered releases are also competing with the free varieties of the old books that have been there for years.

I imagine this one will get scanned very quickly.

Tor (the in charge suits at higher levels, anyway - senior exec type wrote recently he can't see any market for digital books, and that is who is driving this ship) are basically a lost cause I think. They are clearly going the 'we don't want to sell many' route of high prices, delays, and widespread unavailability.

This sets up a similar situation to the Stephen King delay tactics, which let some Wal-Mart guy go 'Cool, no ebook to compete with - how about we use this as an advertising stunt!'

Also lets someone get a paperback priced hardback to chop the spine off and scan rather cheaply, too.

Now pastiche Jordan interest isn't of the same order of magnitude of as King of course but the same thing could happen if they felt like it. Jordan books I have seen in places like Target etc. here before, anyway.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #36
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Dear Mr. King.
Reading on paper is not as enjoyable as reading electronically. It is unfortunate that you have chosen to penalize your fan base simply because they chose to read books electronically.

Sincerely Disappointed,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Agreed but if I had to guess, the publisher was in his ear feeding him this information. I can't imagine him coming up with this strategy himself.
Sure and the reason he's listening is to maximize his profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is really a SIMPLE answer to this. Sell the ebook at the SAME price with the same release date as the hard cover. If someone buys the book the publisher makes the same amount of money. Actually, I expect the make more for the ebook purchase at the same price of a pbook. Espessially if they sell it directly.

BOb
The publishers ARE charging the same price. It's the eBook stores that are discounting them. And if Amamzon and B&N are supposedly eating the cost, what doe it matter to the Publisher and Author?

I think this is just bad forum. I agree with an earlier post to boycott both the writer and the publisher for their antics. There are thousands of great books out there and a good amount of publishers that care for their customers opinions.

What's worse is when the books are released in mass paperback the books are finally dropped. Here

It's ridiculous that eBooks are priced against PaperBooks. The pricing model is just a tax to customers. I can understand the price difference between a Hardback and a Paperback, because they are different products.

However why must eBook Readers pay the same price for a hardback when it's out and the same for a PaperBack when you still get the same product.

If Publishers are hell bent on gouging their customers then make two eBooks one that has more content and one that is more basic and sell that to the customer.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote