Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #316
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.
 
Care's Avatar
 
Posts: 600
Karma: 44400
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Device: Nook Classic, NOOKcolor, Nook STR, Galaxy S Fascinate w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLOV View Post
What exactly is "3G" . I had thought it meant third generation, but on reading several posts it sounds like something altogether different and specific.
Probably a stupid question, but I am not good at computerese .
You are right in a way. 3G is the third generation of cell phone telecommunications. If a reader has 3G it can either buy books via wifi or if no wifi is available it uses 3G. Most readers now are wifi only.

Last edited by Care; 07-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #317
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 27
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2008
Device: Sony PRS-505
Another option would be to buy the Nook (because it's much nicer than the Kobo) but buy your ebooks through Chapters-Indigo in Canada or any of the Kobo ebook stores around the world. Kobo (who run the ebook store for Chapters-Indigo) uses standard Adobe DRM and any of these books can be read on a Nook. So, you won't be able to purchase books directly through the Nook but you will be able to buy books on your computer and read them on your Nook. You'll also have access to a bunch of other book stores (like Google or Sony).

I just looked at the Kobo at a Borders here in the States and I can't believe how cheap it feels. Very disappointing.

Just my two cents.

Happy reading.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 07-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #318
ORLOV
Junior Member
ORLOV began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Device: none
Hi All:
Thanks very much for the replies to my 3G quiery. I greatly appeciated it, and have really used the new addy 'shopereaders' . Found it very informative. From all I have read and heard, I am definitely leaning toward the Nook Simple Touch. Do you suppose the price is likely to come down in the near future? Seems every post or brochure I read, others have had sales or reduced prices.
Orlov
ORLOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #319
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Fbone's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,259
Karma: 67679141
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is still true and has always been true since the Nook launched in Nov 2009. I try every two or three months. The Nook and most ebooks are not now and never have been sold directly to Canadian residents by Barnes and Noble. It also has nothing to do with Investment Canada as one of the posters in the quoted thread states. I have been buying from Amazon.com for over a decade.

What has shifted recently (last month?) is quite a number Nook ebooks seem to be orderable. Unfortunately, without a Nook, you are limited to reading on a PC or other device thanks to the "special" DRM variant B&N uses. If it were standard Adobe DRM, I could buy ebooks from B&N and use them on a Kobo (or Sony if I had one). So, alas, a bit better but essentially still no go outside of the US.
I believe it does have something to do with why B&N doesn't support Canada. B&N is an American company. Amazon.ca is 100% Canadian. Therefore, Amazon.ca is in compliance with Investment Canada laws. Also, a few large publishers have separated the North American market into 2 regions. (3 if counting Mexico) I don't know if this has to do with Investment Canada either but it's possible. Or perhaps the publishers have sold Canadian rights separately. Most of the large publishers have operations or subsidiaries in Toronto.

Didn't you notice that Amazon US has 200,000 more ebooks available than Amazon.ca? Similarly for Kobo. There are books not available for US residents. I don't know how many.

So, I do agree it's probably better for Canadians not to choose a Nook unless they have US ties.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #320
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.
 
Care's Avatar
 
Posts: 600
Karma: 44400
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Device: Nook Classic, NOOKcolor, Nook STR, Galaxy S Fascinate w/Aldiko
You don't need US ties, just an address which is simple enough. As long as you get the device to you, you could use a McDonalds address. You just need to make sure you check the box that says SAME AS SHIPPING for billing. They don't check your credit card to see if they match.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #321
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Asawi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,379
Karma: 1953234
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sweden
Device: Sony PRS-350, Assorted Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
You don't need US ties, just an address which is simple enough. As long as you get the device to you, you could use a McDonalds address. You just need to make sure you check the box that says SAME AS SHIPPING for billing. They don't check your credit card to see if they match.
They do check IP when buying books though, so you need to go some sort of proxy/VPN.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #322
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 807
Karma: 1204798
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
They do check IP when buying books though, so you need to go some sort of proxy/VPN.
Canadian IP-addresses are allowed because a small number of B&N e-books are available to Canada. So unlike other users outside the US, Canadians do not have to use a VPN.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #323
camerontai
Junior Member
camerontai began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Argentina
Device: NOOK str
Hi guys. I live in Argentina. I have a question. I know i can´t buy any books via wifi in my country. And i don´t really care about it as long as y can upload epubs from my computer to the NOOK, wich i think i will be able to do right? But the important question y have is this one: my father will buy a NOOK TOUCH in NYC in a couple of days. When i power it up for the first time here in argentina, it will appear the registration page and it will freeze in there until i register it? (and since i will be in Argenitna it will be frozen forever Or i will be able to skip the registration process and start loading my own books?

Finally, what if i ask my father to register the nook inmediatly after purchasing it at the store. He has an amercan credit card. Exactly what information will he have to enter besides de credit card number' (i do have a B&N account with a fake US adress)

Thanks for helping me!!!

Pato
camerontai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #324
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 807
Karma: 1204798
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerontai View Post
Hi guys. I live in Argentina. I have a question. I know i can´t buy any books via wifi in my country. And i don´t really care about it as long as y can upload epubs from my computer to the NOOK, wich i think i will be able to do right? But the important question y have is this one: my father will buy a NOOK TOUCH in NYC in a couple of days. When i power it up for the first time here in argentina, it will appear the registration page and it will freeze in there until i register it? (and since i will be in Argenitna it will be frozen forever Or i will be able to skip the registration process and start loading my own books?

Finally, what if i ask my father to register the nook inmediatly after purchasing it at the store. He has an amercan credit card. Exactly what information will he have to enter besides de credit card number' (i do have a B&N account with a fake US adress)

Thanks for helping me!!!

Pato
There is only an IP-address check when buying things. Everything else just works.
- You can register your Nook in Argentina using the Wifi connection.
- If you have bought books using your PC with an VPN, you can download those books on your Nook using the Wifi connection (just sync the library).
- You can update the firmware using Wifi.

The only information needed to register your Nook are the e-mail address and password of your B&N account.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #325
camerontai
Junior Member
camerontai began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Argentina
Device: NOOK str
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
There is only an IP-address check when buying things. Everything else just works.
- You can register your Nook in Argentina using the Wifi connection.
- If you have bought books using your PC with an VPN, you can download those books on your Nook using the Wifi connection (just sync the library).
- You can update the firmware using Wifi.

The only information needed to register your Nook are the e-mail address and password of your B&N account.
Thanks geertm. I thought i needed an US credit card and billing adress to register the NOOK.
Ok then. Just to be clear. If i use a VPN (hotspotshield) on a wifi connection at home, it would be just like if i were using the wifi connection in a B&N store or any other U.S. spot, right?

Thank you for answering.

Patricio
camerontai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #326
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 807
Karma: 1204798
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerontai View Post
Thanks geertm. I thought i needed an US credit card and billing adress to register the NOOK.
Ok then. Just to be clear. If i use a VPN (hotspotshield) on a wifi connection at home, it would be just like if i were using the wifi connection in a B&N store or any other U.S. spot, right?

Thank you for answering.

Patricio
You need to register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address (I understand you already have done that). You can use your own non-US credit card (the billing address is not checked).

You cannot use a VPN on the Nook. You need to install the VPN on your PC, and use your PC to buy the books from the B&N website.
There is no IP-address check when downloading books. So when you have bought the books using your PC, the Nook can immediately download them using the Wifi connection (just sync the library on the Nook).

Last edited by geertm; 07-26-2011 at 06:39 PM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #327
cwspen
Junior Member
cwspen began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: Kobo Touch
Hello,

As a Canadian considering a Nook Touch (to replace my Kobo Touch) I just want to make sure that this is clear.

1) I currently purchase books through online webstores and remove DRM on my PC. I then sideload all content to my Kobo.
2) I have no US credit card.
3) I currently do not have a B&N account.

So, can I buy a Nook on my next trip to the states, bring it home, and register it? All without a US CC?

My understanding is that at some point I may need to use a fake US address?
cwspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #328
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 807
Karma: 1204798
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwspen View Post
Hello,

As a Canadian considering a Nook Touch (to replace my Kobo Touch) I just want to make sure that this is clear.

1) I currently purchase books through online webstores and remove DRM on my PC. I then sideload all content to my Kobo.
2) I have no US credit card.
3) I currently do not have a B&N account.

So, can I buy a Nook on my next trip to the states, bring it home, and register it? All without a US CC?

My understanding is that at some point I may need to use a fake US address?
Just register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing adress. You can use any valid US address, just google something. The billing address is not checked, so you can use your own credit card.
This way you will be able to register your Nook, and you will have access to all the e-books from the B&N store.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #329
cwspen
Junior Member
cwspen began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Just register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing adress. You can use any valid US address, just google something. The billing address is not checked, so you can use your own credit card.
This way you will be able to register your Nook, and you will have access to all the e-books from the B&N store.
Perfect! Thanks for the clear & concise reply. Having no physical buttons is a real PITA with the Kobo for my reading.
cwspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #330
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.
 
Care's Avatar
 
Posts: 600
Karma: 44400
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Device: Nook Classic, NOOKcolor, Nook STR, Galaxy S Fascinate w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwspen View Post
Perfect! Thanks for the clear & concise reply. Having no physical buttons is a real PITA with the Kobo for my reading.
I really think the Kobo was improved, but not enough for me to want to buy one. I also love having the better ebook selection too. I just bought the nook touch while in the US last weekend.

Just remember to check the 'same as shipping' address box when adding your fake US address to your B&N account.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Nook Wifi - Can be ordered internationally! krish Barnes & Noble NOOK 181 10-29-2010 02:58 AM
Classic Nook & Sony Reader hkdorama Barnes & Noble NOOK 2 08-06-2010 12:13 AM
Considering Nook? Other options available. rash.m2k Which one should I buy? 5 04-23-2010 11:23 PM
Ended B&N Nook (sold at cost, shipped internationally) Nate the great Flea Market 3 02-22-2010 10:14 AM
Barnes & Noble E-Reader Could Come Oct 20 With Lending Options sforce News 12 10-10-2009 01:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.