Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
re838uk
re838uk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 (Red)
Website > Ebook : ePub converter?

Does a software exist that can download a website for offline viewing but convert it to epub format for the ebook?. For RSS feeds, Calibre is fine, but for a static bunch of pages that you want to get quickly and have it portable so you can read it whenever you want, is there a software available for that?

Thank you.
re838uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Someone in the calibre forum reported success with HTTrack, which makes a local copy of the web page. You then drag the home page to calibre, and it does the rest.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
re838uk

Ok thanks, will give it a go and post what happened, if anything
Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
re838uk

No luck

Tried it out on three html files.
Two displayed invalid file on the reader and the other displayed tags and there was no formatting, just a long collection of words and html tags...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
i think it's a lot to ask to convert a random website into a epub. most websites these days are very complex, and i think it would be difficult to convert that into something compatible with the epub specs, let alone device capabilities. that's not even counting sites that use flash or other scripts, or ajax.

maybe i'm wrong though.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
If there's an rss feed for the site, ut sounds like you can do this with a Calibre recipie.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
[QUOTE=re838uk;625682]Does a software exist that can download a website for offline viewing but convert it to epub format for the ebook?. For RSS feeds, Calibre is fine, but for a static bunch of pages that you want to get quickly and have it portable so you can read it whenever you want, is there a software available for that?QUOTE]

Two suggestions:

1. Instapaper. Instapaper is a program that works in a number of browsers. You drag a bookmark button onto your bookmark bar, and then, when you are on a web page you want to read, you click the button. Instapaper moves the contents of the web page to your member page, and converts it to text. When you go to the member screen, it has all the web pages you've selected. There is a button on that page which allows you to convert the first 20 items to epub, and download the resulting file to your computer, where you can move it onto your Reader using Sony Library or Calibre, or just by dragging it on. http://www.instapaper.com/

2. Bookit. This is available in Firefox. There is a forum here on Mobilread dedicated to Bookit. You install it as a Firefox addon, and what it does is send the web page you are on to calibre in epub format. MobileRead Forums > E-Book Devices > Sony Portable Reader PRS-500/505 > Reader Content > Bookit plugin for Firefox
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
I use http://web2fb2.net/ to create an epub from multiple pages. No download or login is required. Works great for wikipedia.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
I use http://web2fb2.net/ to create an epub from multiple pages. No download or login is required. Works great for wikipedia.
Tried it & it worked okay (Firefox, Mac.) Downside is that you have to convert one article at a time, and it doesn't strip out miscellaneous garbage. OTOH, it does convert files that IP seems to be having trouble with right now.

IP's download is transparent, so that you can designate an application to open the file immediately - Sony Library, for instance, or calibre or Stanza. As for the login, you do it once, and unless you close the web browser, it's not an issue. In fact, I just tell Firefox to remember my login & it does it for me automagically - so in effect, there's no login after the first one.

On the whole, IP is much easier if you have more than a couple of files, but the link you posted is going into my bookmark file for files IP is being stubborn about...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
sjk9
sjk9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm trying to do the same thing. I want to convert a website to epub. The site is mostly just text with no fancy stuff. The home page is like a TOC, links to text web pages elsewhere on the site. What I would like is the home page to be the TOC, linking to the other articles/pages within the epub/website.

I tried Web2FB2, but it doesn't work as I thought it would.

I'd prefer to not send each web page separately, but combine them in a single ebook.
sjk9 is offline   Reply With Quote