|10-09-2009, 09:05 AM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + KoboGlo + Kobo Aura!
Reuters Article - with Actual quotes from Mr. Bezos
Some interesting points:
1. Bezos recommends dumping your current K2 and getting the new International model - no plans to upgrade the K2 to ATT capability - stuck with Sprint for US -only Whispernet. No wonder Amazon has discounted the new K2 pricing (I think Daffy picked up on this earlier).
2. No plans to offer DX International - no info at all on future developments for the large screen reader.
3. More tap-dancing on international copyright issues - claims 200,000 of the 350,000 books can be bought internationally.
4. "As proof of the way that the Kindle has changed reader habits, Bezos brings up an amazing statistic. Earlier this year, he startled people by revealing that of books available on both Kindle and paper versions, 35 percent of copies sold by Amazon were Kindle versions. Now, he says, the number is up to 48 percent. This means that a lot of people have bought Kindles (Amazon won’t reveal the figures) and that Kindle owners buy a lot of books." Quite an increase in sales volume!
5. Bezos plans to offer apps to new tablets to extend Kindle functionality - as currently for the iPhone.
This is the most informative article I've read recently from Bezos.
"If possible please provide picture of Mr. Chickens new home or field. Proof that you will not eat him would help too." (Craigslist)
|10-09-2009, 10:07 AM||#2|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Monaco-Menton, France
That was interesting, Pooh. Thanks. There was something that Bezos said there about there being so many English-speakers in countries with a 'foreign' native tongue. I recall some years ago watching, here in France, an episode of the US TV series Oz, in which one of the characters -- a bright spark -- was watching a game show. The quizmaster had asked which country had the largest English-speaking population. The character immediately said, under his breath, "China". I checked the following day on internet, and he was dead right. Mind you, Kindle's international won't be available in China ... the biggest single English-speaking national market in the world. Hoots. Neil
|10-09-2009, 10:33 AM||#3|
Join Date: Oct 2007
Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Of course Bezos wants us to ditch our "old" Kindle 2s (if 8 months can be considered old) for his brand-spakin' new international model. How great it would be if I had the money to buy a new Kindle every few months! The internationals version doesn't add much in most countries. I wouldn't pay an extra 2 bucks per book just to avoid downloading it on a computer. I have to download it on my computer to remove the DRM anyway.
"I do not speak with any fondness, but the language of coldest history, when I say that Boston commands attention as the town which was appointed in the destiny of nations to lead the civilization of North America."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Change single quotes to double quotes||Elfwreck||Workshop||16||04-26-2013 10:06 AM|
|Single quotes to double quotes?||lunixer||General Discussions||35||10-10-2010 05:47 AM|
|convert straight quotes to curly quotes||alansplace||Calibre||3||09-25-2010 03:51 PM|
|PRS-300 Actual Screen Dimensions||jagfan||Sony Reader||1||02-07-2010 02:09 PM|
|Actual book selection...||radamo||Which one should I buy?||6||03-25-2009 07:54 PM|