|10-06-2009, 04:08 AM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2009
Device: SONY PRS-600
Total Newbie now LOST!
I'm a total newbie venturing into unknown waters here. I've been facsinated by the fact that I can read my books on an electronic gadget. So much so that I'll be getting my Sony PRS-600 within the next 3-4weeks.
I've scoured through all the relevant websites and I must say I'm now faced with Information Overload!
Some questions I have which I hope fellow forumers can advise:
1. After I get the device, switch it on, understood that the program is preloaded in the device and will run on the laptop. Is it how it is supposed to go?
2. Do I need to install Calibre first? Whats the procedure. I had gathered that Calibre beats the Sony software hands down in terms of conversion and downloading to the device from the laptop?
3. Most Asked Question: How do I buy ebboks from US based websites? I've got suggestions ranging from : use a gift card, use a US debit card etc. I also read about restriction in downloads cos the websites track the IP addresses. How do we go around this?
Sorry for the pleatoral of questions but I want to get well prepared to handle the new toy :-)
Thank you in advance for any advice given.
|10-06-2009, 04:52 AM||#2|
I eat books
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Hello! Welcome to the forum, and glad you're looking forward to the Reader
1. You can download the program here in advance. Probably better
2. No, you won't need to install Calibre first; however, it's better if you download Adobe Digital Editions and sign up with an ADE account (it's required for DRM-ed ePubs). But Calibre is good
3. It depends heavily on the store. For example, ebooks.com never gave me weird notices (publisher doesn't want to sell the book in my area and so on). Booksonboard, while far better priced, sometimes gives you this message. Fictionwise does (but allows you through their Micropay system to contour partially the restriction). As for Sony, you got a PM arriving from me (yes, paranoid!). Take care, if you're not in the UK, that WHSmith decided recently to put up barriers for at least some books in their catalogue even for Continental Europe. Waterstones doesn't, at the moment.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Calibre - total newbie!||nakita002||Amazon Kindle||2||05-12-2010 07:04 PM|
|Total Newbie||ljfoley||Introduce Yourself||8||03-24-2010 09:44 PM|
|Total newbie||Violetteskye||Astak EZReader||4||10-21-2009 04:07 AM|
|Total newbie, please help!||Londoner||Sony Reader||15||09-08-2008 04:09 PM|
|Total newbie questions||MrAngus||iRex||11||08-17-2008 11:10 PM|