Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
maria23
maria23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Firmware Upgrade Issue

I've just received my EZReader today. After 4 hours of charging, the battery icon on the display has been changed to something else which looked a battery icon with 2 pins. I was a lil but surprised as it has been mentioned that the charging time should be 'at least' 12 hours. After that, the reader was working just fine. The problem started when I've decided to upgrade to the latest firmware. As soon as the latest firmware has been installed, I was asked to press any key to reboot the reader. After pressing a key, the reader got stuck on rebooting and the light turned red and blank screen. It has stayed like this for 10 mins after which I've noticed that something was wrong with it. I've thus taken off the battery and plugged it to my laptop which didn't solve anything as the light turned back to red as soon as it was connected to my laptop. I've tried putting back the battery and still getting same result (red light + nothing on the display). Even charging it didn't work. Can anybody help me out please or did anybody encounter the same problem as me?
maria23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I would try two things (first make sure the battery is connected):

a) remove the SD card and hit the reset button on the back with a paper clip, then turn it on.

or

b) plug the charger in, and try re-installing the firmware from the SD card with the battery installed and the charger on (this is always the safest approach to flashing the device).

I'm not really hopeful that (a) will work, but the flashing process is usually very robust - so (b) has a good chance of working.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
maria23

Thanks for replying. Much appreciated.

a) Didn't work.
B) After having re-installed the firmware, the reader freezes while trying to reboot. "Press any key to reboot" - after pressing the key, it stops responding and the light turns red.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
don't be insulted, but are you sure you have the firmware for the right device? There is an EZ Reader (6") and an EZ Reader Pocket Pro (5") and the firmware for the two is different.

I ask because the official site doesn't always differentiate as clearly as it could -- folks sometimes get the right file but end up trying to follow the update instructions for the wrong machine and wondering why the button they're told to press is not there...
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria23 View Post
After having re-installed the firmware, the reader freezes while trying to reboot. "Press any key to reboot" - after pressing the key, it stops responding and the light turns red.
I suggest calling Astak to see if they can help.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
You did unzip the "rar" file and only used the "bin" file on an empty sd card, right?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question My stupid question

I'm confused: The firmware upgrade goes on the SD card NOT on the OS of the PEZ itself? I know it's in the directions but it didn't seem logical to me. Since my first attempt was a failure, I will put the bin onto the SD card. BUT the SD card has to be an empty one???

Obviously I'm puzzled how this works. I'm not an IT genius, but I do OK, well sometimes...then again I don't really get python scripts and such either. I don't know tons of computer jargon either (mostly self taught)....I'm feeling kind of stupid right now.....

Denise
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Toeknee
Enthusiast
Toeknee began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Point your web browser at http://www.theezreader.com

Select the SUPPORT tab and then select FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD.

The instructions are listed there as well as the most current firmware files.

The firmware is about 90 MB in size and is a compressed .rar file. After downloading it, you will need something like 7zip (windows) to decompress the .rar. file into a 130 MB file called setup.bin

Copy setup.bin to the root of the SD card and follow the instructions. I had other stuff on my SD card and it worked fine, so the card does not have to be empty as long as you have room for the setup.bin file.

Note that when it is running, the upgrade will list each thing it is upgrading and it will draw a progress bar across the screen.

Good luck
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
I'm confused: The firmware upgrade goes on the SD card NOT on the OS of the PEZ itself? I know it's in the directions but it didn't seem logical to me. Since my first attempt was a failure, I will put the bin onto the SD card. BUT the SD card has to be an empty one???

Obviously I'm puzzled how this works. I'm not an IT genius, but I do OK, well sometimes...then again I don't really get python scripts and such either. I don't know tons of computer jargon either (mostly self taught)....I'm feeling kind of stupid right now.....

Denise
Well, plenty of people tend to add requirements. The firmware upgrade does go on the SD card but there is no requirement that it be empty. However, I would not suggest having several copies of the firmware upgrade on the card at the same time under different names. I always place mine on the root of the card but I have successfully used cards with ebooks on them and even one out of my camera with all kinds of pictures on it. There just needs to be room for the file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak standing by to help

IF all the suggestions do not work ( and Dale DePriest REALLY knows his stuff)
please call Astak Tech Support toll-free at: 1-866-368-8788!!

We do want you happy so do not feel alone!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
maria23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
don't be insulted, but are you sure you have the firmware for the right device? There is an EZ Reader (6") and an EZ Reader Pocket Pro (5") and the firmware for the two is different.

I ask because the official site doesn't always differentiate as clearly as it could -- folks sometimes get the right file but end up trying to follow the update instructions for the wrong machine and wondering why the button they're told to press is not there...
Yeah, I did choose the correct firmware. Thanks for helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
You did unzip the "rar" file and only used the "bin" file on an empty sd card, right?
Yes, I'd unzipped it before transferring it to my SD Card. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknee View Post
The firmware is about 90 MB in size and is a compressed .rar file. After downloading it, you will need something like 7zip (windows) to decompress the .rar. file into a 130 MB file called setup.bin.
I didn't get setup.bin while unzipping, but instead, I got something like: v5blablabla.bin. Does the file name matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
IF all the suggestions do not work ( and Dale DePriest REALLY knows his stuff)
please call Astak Tech Support toll-free at: 1-866-368-8788!!

We do want you happy so do not feel alone!!
Thank you Robert. I'm in contact with the support (via email) since 2 days and maybe I'll be sending it back to Astak for it to get repaired.

I want to add something: The customer support is very good. I get replies within 1 hour after sending a reply.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
The unzipped file is called "v5setup.bin"
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #13
maria23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
The unzipped file is called "v5setup.bin"
Yeah, that's the file name.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I can't speak too much about firmware upgrade issues on the PP (only got mine 3 days ago), but I've had some past experiences with firmware upgrades on routers etc.

Something that might be worth a try is to format your SD card and re-copy over the .bin file and attempt the firmware upgrade again (an earlier post said you tried it but not whether the PP attempted to install the firmware or not). I also assume you are running Windows? In that case if you didn't, I recommend extracting the .zip file to your hard drive (ie: right-click .zip, select Extract Here) then copy the extracted .bin to the SD card. Under Windows you can just open up the .zip and copy the compressed .bin file to your SD card which Windows will unzip on-the-fly, which I have, albeit only once, an issue copying extracted files that way.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #15
maria23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I can't speak too much about firmware upgrade issues on the PP (only got mine 3 days ago), but I've had some past experiences with firmware upgrades on routers etc.

Something that might be worth a try is to format your SD card and re-copy over the .bin file and attempt the firmware upgrade again (an earlier post said you tried it but not whether the PP attempted to install the firmware or not). I also assume you are running Windows? In that case if you didn't, I recommend extracting the .zip file to your hard drive (ie: right-click .zip, select Extract Here) then copy the extracted .bin to the SD card. Under Windows you can just open up the .zip and copy the compressed .bin file to your SD card which Windows will unzip on-the-fly, which I have, albeit only once, an issue copying extracted files that way.
Thanks for replying.
I've already already gone through all the suggestions you made but unfortunately, still can't get it to work.