Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Help - 1.0.01.03170 Firmware on PRS-505. How do I upgrade?

Hi everyone,

I just recieved my PRS-505 that I purchased from E-bay (slightly used). I really want to install the latest firmware 1.1.00.18040 so that I can enable Epub support and reflowable PDFs.

When I checked my ebook firmware version, it states that it is 1.0.01.03170. I tried researching it but the only post I found here suggested it might be a Canadian firmware? In any case, I was trying to update the ebook reader via the Sony Book Library software (Help-> Check for updates). However, it keeps saying that there aren't any updates available. I had a couple of questions:

1. Can I mess the PRS-505 up by installing the 1.1.00.18040 firmware using this link?

2. If not, are there any repurcussions of updating to a US firmware when the native reader is for another country/region?

3. Do I just follow the instruction at the Sony site in the link above for updating my firmware or do I need to use PRS Customizer? (I have no idea how to use it)

4. Will I be able to buy ebooks from Sony Connect? (I am in the US)

Thanks a lot! I'd really appreciate any response I can get. I am hoping to have it all setup by tomorrow morning as it is a gift for my fiancee

Edit - I just checked my Sony Library software and it is set to Region: United States. That might be why it wasn't offering an update if my PRS-505 is indeed pre-installed with Canadian firmware. In anycase, I'd prefer to switch to a US firmware as I will be buying ebooks from the US.

Last edited by orion2001; 09-29-2009 at 12:06 AM.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Hmm... after looking at Gfinch's post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41&postcount=5

It seems that I might just have an old US based firmware. It is very strange that the Ebook library software doesn't seem to find the update by itself. Should I just go ahead and do the manual firmware upgrade to 1.1.00.18040
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
orion2001
Groupie

Heh, looks like this ended up being a one person thread. After some more research I convinced myself that it was either a US or Canada firmware and that in any case, both of them required the same update. I mustered up the courage, did the manual update, had some heartstopping moments with a 0KB protected file randomly popping up, but in the end it looks like everything worked out. Only problem was that Sony Library started giving me an "invalid type" error. I then used the suggestions in this very informative post and that fixed everything.

Now to load the PRS-505 with some nice ebooks
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm glad you figured it out and have fun with your ebooks!
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
May I ask what the last firmware version is in the US? I wanna make sure I have the latest. I have been checking out different websites but all of them seem to contradict each other.

Thanks
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
orion2001
Groupie

Thanks Merlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayamauro View Post
May I ask what the last firmware version is in the US? I wanna make sure I have the latest. I have been checking out different websites but all of them seem to contradict each other.

Thanks
The latest one is 1.1.00.18040 which I linked to in my first post. If you already have it then you have nothing to worry about. If not, you can use the link above to do the manual installation. Just make sure that your reader is completely charged before you do it, and whatever you do, do not unplug it till it completes the upgrade and the reader reboots to the menu.

PS - If you don't have it, I'd highly recommend it. I noticed a distinct improvement in the responsiveness of the PRS-505 and page turns seemed a bit faster. In addition, it enables PDF reflow and EPUB support, both of which are very important updates.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
My 505 has 1.1.01.25200 but apparently this is not available for a download update.

I'm curious why people doing updates don't use the Sony eBook Library <help> <update> option which intuitively should be the easiest and safest!?!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
orion2001
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
My 505 has 1.1.01.25200 but apparently this is not available for a download update.

I'm curious why people doing updates don't use the Sony eBook Library <help> <update> option which intuitively should be the easiest and safest!?!
Hi Peter,

Actually I did mention in my post that I tried the update via the library but it kept telling me I was up to date (it was completely wrong since my firmware number is quite old and it didn't support PDF reflow or EPUBs).

As for your firmware number, while it is in a sense the "latest" firmware, no-one has so far been able to tell that it has any distinct change/improvement from 1.1.00.18040 (which is available online). The disadvantage of having your higher firmware number is that you can't use PRS Customizer directly to tweak your Reader and modify the device fonts.

If you're interested in doing that, you can easily "downgrade" to the last public firmware release 1.1.00.18040 by looking at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45003
Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
The disadvantage of having your higher firmware number is that you can't use PRS Customizer directly to tweak your Reader and modify the device fonts.
If you're interested in doing that
O, Nope! Thanks, but not interested!

I am a firm believer in using devices and packages in a lean, clean, and mean mode. In other words, no add-ons, plug-ins, extensions, etc., etc.

. . . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
orion2001
Groupie

Well it isn't an add on or an extension really. You replace the default font files with font files of your choice. No negative impact on performance in any way but it makes for a better experience if you prefer a different font from the Sony defaults. In addition you get a nice little clock in your taskbar as an extra feature.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Various reasons to consider it though - I find the clock very useful, but while I did set my name & contact details on the device, I don't expect to need them!

I did change the icons to other ones while I was there & I did switch to 'unified fonts', as I disliked the way that the titles used different font sizes depending upon their length.

Others took advantage of being able to remap various buttons, including being able to shutdown the device via a keypress, but I've not done so, nor have I replaced with personal fonts - I did go for Unicode fonts, but I'm not sure if I've ever needed them though!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote