Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
yingying27
yingying27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Waiting for my first ever reader

I've been lurking here for quite some time now and I've learned a lot
From the threads that I've read, I am now buying the PRS-600.
The Sony readers are unfortunately not available in my country so when my friend went to London, I asked him to buy me one.... That was 3 weeks ago. He's gonna come back this Monday with my new reader. I hope he gets me the red one. But any color is fine as long as I get one.
I've been reading ebooks for years but only on my pda. I am now preparing myself to be blown away.
yingying27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
How exciting. Congratulations on your first Reader.

Make sure to let us know how you like it, if you aren't too busy reading!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
George
Enthusiast
George began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone - PRS 600
Congrats. I too will be buying the 600 as my first proper reader having used the itouch until now.

Enjoy
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Congrats and glad you de-lurked!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
yingying27

Thanks! i can barely contain myself.
Now, my problem is the cover... Where can i possibly get that here. I may just make one myself but I doubt if it can be sturdy enough and I wanted something waterproof. I live in a tropical area where it rains for half a year. (possibly even more )
Old 09-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
How exciting for you!! I bought my ebook reader in March of this year and I love it more and more with each book I read. I also just got the ipod touch so I'm set for a good long while. Have fun reading. I can't wait to hear how you like it.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Congratulations I'd suggest an M-Edge cover, but it's not completely waterproof... when are you going to be needing the waterproof part? (I mean, always or when putting the PRS-600 away )
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
yingying27

Hi!
I just received my reader.
It was nice and sleek.
Hmmm, i was wondering, I was charging it and the usb icon was seen from the screen. However the manual said that the status light would indicate that it was charging. I don't see mine lighting up. Or do I have to install the software first? I did turn on the reader prior to charging though. I am so paranoid about these things.

EDIT:
I got it to work. I turned off (Unlike before when it was just asleep) the device and charged by USB to my desktop.
The reader is mighty fine. I guess the first on my agenda are the Harvard Classics. And some other books that I had no time to read.

Oooh,I think I'll be going to Hello Kitty and get myself a journal or organzer and make a DIY bookcover. I don't foresee myself using the sleeve. What with my netbook and other stuff in my bag, its bound to get crushed. Maybe a hard dvd box as well?

Oh! I'm gonna use the waterproof part while the reader is in the bag...
Btw, It rained here non-stop for 9 hours last saturday.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying27 View Post
Oh! I'm gonna use the waterproof part while the reader is in the bag...
Btw, It rained here non-stop for 9 hours last saturday.
OOOOW. I live in a rather humid climate but oooooowwwwwww. 9 hours.

As for the case- a dvd holder? There are cases in plastic and tin. When you're reading you can use the anything else, but while in the bag I've found it's a nice system- I have a tin one, with lining in foam for extra protection, never let me down. There are also sites that have them already "layered". And you can customise it rather easily...
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
shineofleo
shineofleo began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
same here.
shineofleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying27 View Post
Hi!
I just received my reader.
It was nice and sleek.
....Btw, It rained here non-stop for 9 hours last saturday.
Yeah!!! I looked at and considered the 600 again yesterday, but ended up deciding to purchase a second (discounted) 505 from the clearance shelf at the local Target store.

I don't think I could take the constant rain any more than the dark of winter in AK.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote