Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 400
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Far East
Device: PRS 600
Sony eBook Library software and Mac OSX 10.4??

Hello,

Has anyone been able to get eBook Library and Mac OSX 10.4 to work? I have had my reader for almost a month now and have yet to get the software to recognize that my reader exists, it just says "Error" where it should say "Reader."

I have called Sony numerous times and they have been unable to help me or figure out what the problem is... my return date is about to pass and I have yet to see any progress from them on fixing this, so I don't know what to do.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Thanks.
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,640
Karma: 11390499
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
What kinds of Mac do you have? I seem to recall someone else saying they had this problem and hooked it via a powered USB hub... but they had the Air... and I'm pretty sure the Air came with Leo.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Posts: 602
Karma: 5124
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
The thread is here, if you want to contribute
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Lycoming's Avatar
 
Posts: 483
Karma: 33043007
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cornwall, UK
Device: iPad2
Nathan, the Mac issue was resolved about a month ago and the Sony 505 finally worked under Leopard. With the arrival of Snow Leopard the system crashed. I've managed to get my iMac and my wife's Macbook working and recognising books. You may need an upgrade from 10.4, if that's feasible.

We, the end users, seem to be used as the Beta testers of all these systems.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Posts: 602
Karma: 5124
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
We, the end users, seem to be used as the Beta testers of all these systems.
Sad truth.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 400
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Far East
Device: PRS 600
Thanks guys.

I have actually had my PRS 600 since it first came out, I got it within a week of it being released. The reader has not been recognized by the eBook Library software the entire time. I have spent many hours talking with eBook support about it and they even remotely accessed my computer so they could get information.

However, after 2 weeks there has yet to be any progress.

I know that others who use Macs are having similar problems but I was just curious if anyone with OSX 10.4 had been able to get it to work or if they had the same problem as me. I really would rather not upgrade my operating system. Sony advertised this reader and their software as being compatible with OSX10.4.11 and later... but I have lost almost all respect for them during this process.

I am using a Powerbook G4 (so not one of the Intels) but they advertise them as being compatible... it is not really a software problem. The ebook library software runs fine on my computer... it just does not recognize the reader in the library software, instead it says "Error" where it normally says "Reader."

If anyone else on a similar setup (OSX 10.4) encounters the same problem or a fix please let me know.
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Posts: 602
Karma: 5124
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Thanks guys.

I have actually had my PRS 600 since it first came out, I got it within a week of it being released. The reader has not been recognized by the eBook Library software the entire time. I have spent many hours talking with eBook support about it and they even remotely accessed my computer so they could get information.

However, after 2 weeks there has yet to be any progress.

I know that others who use Macs are having similar problems but I was just curious if anyone with OSX 10.4 had been able to get it to work or if they had the same problem as me. I really would rather not upgrade my operating system. Sony advertised this reader and their software as being compatible with OSX10.4.11 and later... but I have lost almost all respect for them during this process.

I am using a Powerbook G4 (so not one of the Intels) but they advertise them as being compatible... it is not really a software problem. The ebook library software runs fine on my computer... it just does not recognize the reader in the library software, instead it says "Error" where it normally says "Reader."

If anyone else on a similar setup (OSX 10.4) encounters the same problem or a fix please let me know.
I could try to nag my father who has my old MBP, still running 10.4.11 (but on Intel), if you wish.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 400
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Far East
Device: PRS 600
Is there no one with a similar experience?

I have been in contact with the Sony Ebook support people for over a month and the whole time this issue has supposedly been being worked on. Are you kidding me?! Is it really that hard to fix this problem?

I have even gotten a replacement Sony reader just in case it was the readers problem but even with a second reader it still has the same problem.

I am about ready to give up entirely on Sony and never buy a product from them again. As beautiful and nice as the Sony PRS-600 is it doesn't matter one bit if the accompanying software is horrendous.

I know that this is basically me venting but if anyone has had a similar experience or knows of anything I can try to fix this then please help!
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Posts: 602
Karma: 5124
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Is there no one with a similar experience?

I have been in contact with the Sony Ebook support people for over a month and the whole time this issue has supposedly been being worked on. Are you kidding me?! Is it really that hard to fix this problem?

I have even gotten a replacement Sony reader just in case it was the readers problem but even with a second reader it still has the same problem.

I am about ready to give up entirely on Sony and never buy a product from them again. As beautiful and nice as the Sony PRS-600 is it doesn't matter one bit if the accompanying software is horrendous.

I know that this is basically me venting but if anyone has had a similar experience or knows of anything I can try to fix this then please help!
Are you able to run Calibre? It's not as slick to the eye as EBL 3, but it's still a very good piece of software compared to it. A better and more reliable software. Does ADE recognise your Reader? If it does, you're more than halfway out of trouble.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 400
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Far East
Device: PRS 600
Yeah, I can run Calibre with no problem.

However, if I can run Calibre will I still be able to buy books through the Sony ebook store and use them on my Sony Reader? What with DRM issues?

How would I check if ADE recognizes my reader?

Thanks,

Nathan
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Posts: 602
Karma: 5124
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Yeah, I can run Calibre with no problem.

However, if I can run Calibre will I still be able to buy books through the Sony ebook store and use them on my Sony Reader? What with DRM issues?

How would I check if ADE recognizes my reader?

Thanks,

Nathan
To the first question, I believe not; to the second- did you install ADE software on your mac?

(11:28 PM thought: can you create another account on the same mac and try to run the installation there? Sometimes userprefs files go mixed up. Also, before you try that: go to System Preferences, then International, then format. Is it set to US format? On 10.5 and beyond it was the root of the problem; probably because the software has to be doctored into believing it's operating from the US :P)
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Lycoming's Avatar
 
Posts: 483
Karma: 33043007
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cornwall, UK
Device: iPad2
I just got my 505 recognised by my Mac and the same with my wife's book on her Macbook.

Having wasted ages with Waterstones I was put onto Sony support and advised to remove Adobe Digital Editions. (Finder > Applications >Drag and drop ADE into the Trash) Remove Ebook Library in the same way. Go to Sony UK support and download a new version of the library, again. Restart. Connect the eReader and open the library. Voila, as they say in Guatemala, it works. I can now buy, download and transfer books. Thank you Sony support for your patience while it all happened.

Now all I need is for some charitable soul to inform me (via PM) how torrents work and DRM removal, because I am fed up being ripped off buying ebooks at a higher or equivalent price as a hardback, while being limited to a single download. I cannot even let my wife read books I have bought by transferring them to her SD card.

Yup, I'm half happy and half grumpy.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Posts: 602
Karma: 5124
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
Now all I need is for some charitable soul to inform me (via PM) how torrents work and DRM removal, because I am fed up being ripped off buying ebooks at a higher or equivalent price as a hardback, while being limited to a single download. I cannot even let my wife read books I have bought by transferring them to her SD card.

Yup, I'm half happy and half grumpy.
And you have any right to!

How does it come just one download? Both Waterstones and Sony allow you multiple downloads.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Lycoming's Avatar
 
Posts: 483
Karma: 33043007
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cornwall, UK
Device: iPad2
Juliette, when I have bought books from Waterstones I have only been able to download once, as per their policy statement (below). BoB allow multi downloads; I have had to return and download books from their site on various occasions as I was learning the ropes.

Waterstones.
Your eBooks are listed below. You can download an eBook from here if you were unable to download it at the time of placing your order. However, please note that you can only download it once.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Posts: 602
Karma: 5124
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
Juliette, when I have bought books from Waterstones I have only been able to download once, as per their policy statement (below). BoB allow multi downloads; I have had to return and download books from their site on various occasions as I was learning the ropes.

Waterstones.
Your eBooks are listed below. You can download an eBook from here if you were unable to download it at the time of placing your order. However, please note that you can only download it once.
I just had no problem redownloading books from this page...
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software to batch update PDF metadata/ substitute software for Sony eBook library ksri99 Sony Reader 6 05-20-2012 02:53 PM
any luck to launch the new ebook library software on Mac? changray Sony Reader 38 01-28-2010 04:10 PM
Sony Mac eBook software issues leonnyan Reading and Management 7 09-04-2009 03:50 AM
Sony eBook Library Software finally compatible with Mac! zelda_pinwheel News 64 08-26-2009 11:27 AM
Public library books for Mac users not using Sony software? ficbot Sony Reader 4 04-09-2009 05:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.