Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
linux distribution... when will they catch on?

I'm really waiting for the first linux distribution for ereaders. Over time linux has been ported to a myriad of devices. Mobile Phones, PDA's, Mobile Internet Devices, Routers, video players etc.. etc.. When will we have a distribution that works with ereaders?

As i see it, there are so many functions that would suit a ereader well. It's only limited by imagination (and color and refresh rates ) I'm really waiting for the first distribution so i can work out some features i've been thinking of
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Sony readers run linux! The 505 has Montavista Linux, I believe, although it is not visible to the user.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
All the current EInk readers are using Linux. There have been hacks of the Kindle 2 (Ubuntu linux running on a Kindle 2), but the iRex devices are the most friendly to adding Linux apps. This is in part due to the touch screen, which requires much less modification to existing GUI-based Linux apps than a keyboard-only device. There is a iRex DR1000 Development VMWare Image, and, apparently, GTK+ apps are relatively simple to port. The DR1000S is expensive, but presumably the DR800 will be similar from a porting point of view (Mainstream iRex 8.1-inch reader for 400$). Finally, OpenInkPot (has its own forum) is a complete Linux-based open source firmware for EInk devices. It is currently only for the Hanlin V3 and the Hanvon HandyBOOK N516. One thing that is often requested is ports of OpenInkPot to other devices. This requires low-level Linux skills that are rare in EInk enthusiasts, so I'm sure Open InkPot would welcome participation in that area (or in adding new features or apps to Open InkPot).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
i know that many products are running linux... but that doesn't mean it's a open linux distribution. Open inkpot seems to be closest to what i mean. I would gladly port the software to sony devices... alas i'm not going to buy and brick my sony ereader for those purposes. I'm not that rich
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Strike View Post
i know that many products are running linux... but that doesn't mean it's a open linux distribution. Open inkpot seems to be closest to what i mean. I would gladly port the software to sony devices... alas i'm not going to buy and brick my sony ereader for those purposes. I'm not that rich
Well if your willing to invest your time and are serious about contributing to the Open Inkpot project you can try to raise enough money from donations to buy a SONY ereader. You'd be surprise on the level of support you'd get from this community
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Indeed, if you indeed thought you had the mettle to do this, I'd chip in something small. And your timing couldn't be better....
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote