Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
AirPaper 50T - new Chinese liseuse w\GSM

If you've seen Engadget today, you might have noticed that there is a new epaper based liseuse on the Chinese market. Rather than just repeat Engadget, I went looking for more information.

The AirPaper 50T is a product of Datang Telecom, and it appears to be that company's first liseuse. I found the original press release. Datang Telecom is partnering with China Mobile, a cellular company, and the liseuse is supposed to be a subsidized model. I'm not sure what the terms of the subsidy are, so at this point I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But I did find a gallery of pictures. I would estimate the size to be about that of the Kindle. An important difference is that it has a touch screen in place of the keyboard. This raises some interesting possibilities, doesn't it?

I haven't found a spec sheet yet, but one source I found says the Airpaper has a 4 bit screen. Also, I found a gallery that identifies a Micro SD card slot on the upper edge. It also has a picture with the back cover removed.

press release
gallery
commentary
more commentary

P.S. Liseuse is the French term for a hardware device that is used to read ebooks. I am adopting it as a way to differentiate between hardware and software readers of ebooks.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-11-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
[idlemusing]

AirPaper 50t - new Chinese liseuse w\GSM

(Doggie idly wonders what visitors, and most members, of MR think when they see liseuse in a headline article. "Yo, Martha! What's a dang liseueuseuse? Anyway, China has a new one!")

[/idlemusing]
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Venue Pro 8
Go Nate!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Wow, that's an especially inelegant solution, even comparing it to the other inelegant solutions out there. Wonder if the e-ink screen will be as ghosty as that of the Hanwang 516.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
I love the various "rate this article" icons at the bottom of the "gallery" page, especially the guy spitting water and the cop with the baton, not to mention the giant kissing lips...
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I know this isn't entirely pertinent to the article, itself, but how exactly do you pronounce "liseuse" so that I can say it in my head when I'm reading?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I know this isn't entirely pertinent to the article, itself, but how exactly do you pronounce "liseuse" so that I can say it in my head when I'm reading?
http://www.mediadico.com/dictionnair.../LISEUSE/parle
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Uh ok?? That didn't help. What was it supposed to do?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
it's an audio recording of the word so you can hear how it's pronounced. if you've got the sound off you won't hear it, so it's pronounced "lee zeuhz" (the "eu" is pronounced the same as the vowel sound in "her", "fur", etc. or like a german ö).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've been pronouncing it like Lee Zeus, though luckily no one has yet heard me speak it.

I'm chuckling now because I can just imagine Zelda's reaction to that. She's probably picturing some guy in a pair of boots with a big Texas drawl say Lee Zooooose! Maybe I should stick to calling them ebook readers?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
What I can say - it's ugliest reader I've ever seen..
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I pronounce it liz-use. With a rather soft "y" sound on the "use."

If that's wrong, it doesn't need to be fixed; it's not like I'm likely to ever say it aloud.

I like the idea of the word, but don't think it'll catch on in the US; it doesn't connect to anything we think of as meaning "book." I suspect that, in the long run, ereader is going to be the word of choice, and eReader-the-program/filetype is going to lose their trademark for not enforcing it on the hundreds of blogs that discuss ebooks.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #13
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, iPad, GS3, Kindle PW
Quote:
That's funny, just as I got to your question I was thinking the exact same thing in my head. What was going through my head is that it's pronounced like masseuse but with a "lee" instead of "ma".
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
[idlemusing]

AirPaper 50t - new Chinese liseuse w\GSM

(Doggie idly wonders what visitors, and most members, of MR think when they see liseuse in a headline article. "Yo, Martha! What's a dang liseueuseuse? Anyway, China has a new one!")

[/idlemusing]
My main question is: what does it sound like? In a English sentence, that is..
Do we need to get Zelda in front of a microphone?

Last edited by AprilHare; 09-12-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: clarification
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Ralph Sir Edward
Gentleman & Cynic
Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, CYbook 3rd gen awaiting RTF software upgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I've been pronouncing it like Lee Zeus, though luckily no one has yet heard me speak it.

I'm chuckling now because I can just imagine Zelda's reaction to that. She's probably picturing some guy in a pair of boots with a big Texas drawl say Lee Zooooose! Maybe I should stick to calling them ebook readers?

Now doggie, don't be making fun of my way of speakin'......Red.
Ralph Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote